ModPlug Wild (255 channel version of Modplug Tracker)?

Started by Really Weird Person, December 14, 2006, 01:34:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

What is Modplug Wild? I saw information about it, like it has a maximum of 255 (not so nice number) channels (weird, why not 256 (nice number? Whatever, it's a weird world after all)). Does such a thing exist? If so, where can I download and try it to see if it is any better than the current Open MPT? Hmmmmm, I was just looking at some screenshots of "Modplug Wild" and they are shown on the Macintosh operating system. Maybe Modplug Wild does exist, but not for Windows (darn). Maybe it is only available for the Macintosh operating system (dang it, and I was hoping to try it too). Hmmmmm, I found it now, but the only difference that I noticed was that there are 255 channels available. You cannot even save files with that many channels (64 works, but not numbers past that). I was hoping for a little bit more than that. It sounds like someone had too much time on his/her hands, but not enough to change Modplug Tracker past adding 191 channels to it. I could maybe deal with that, except for what I said before, that is the only difference that I noticed.

LPChip

The Wild build is one of OpenMPT's first build with experimental features made by Rewbs I believe.

These features were implemented in today's OpenMPT where possible.

As for the discussion about the number 255, its 255 because it goes from 0 to 255 which are 256 numbers... same as for 64 and 128 and whatever...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

So, the channels actually started at zero, hmmmmmm, I must have missed that. Or was channel zero hidden? Weird

Sam_Zen

Of course it is 0 - 255 and 0 - 63, but I must admit you've got a point there.
This representation is not consistent throughout MPT.
Not only with the channels, but also the list of samples and instruments, it starts with number 1.

I guess it's the difference between just a list, and the defining of a certain range. Code C00 = volume off.

In the meantime, a suggestion about 256 channels in a module is like reading a paper with a width of 8 meters, with several pages beside each other.

MisterX

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"In the meantime, a suggestion about 256 channels in a module is like reading a paper with a width of 8 meters, with several pages beside each other.

Only if you're reading the paper yourself and not listening to its contents being read to you. ;)

I agree that 256 channels would be cumbersome without the ability to hide channels that you are not editing at the current time.
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

Sam_Zen

Quite right. I didn't take in account the difference between reading and editing.

Really Weird Person

Maybe that could be an extra feature of Modplug Tracker, not displaying unused channels until they are used. This should only happen when the song it playing though. If this happened when the song was stopped, editing it would be harder. BeRo Tracker did that I believe. No, maybe it wasn't that one. One of the players that I downloaded did that though. I cannot remember which one, however. I just thougt of another idea (and other people may agree with this one). Make Modplug Tracker's patterns only editable while the song is stopped. I get annoyed when I have a song playing and I see a little asterisk appear next to the song's title showing me a change (that is usually not wanted). I did not know that LPChip was an organization. I had never noticed the Interactive until now.

LPChip

LPChip Interactive doesn't really exist, but I had the dream to do this once, and maybe in the future, I still will. Depends on how things will go (as I'm starting another business with a friend with another name)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"Make Modplug Tracker's patterns only editable while the song is stopped. I get annoyed when I have a song playing and I see a little asterisk appear
First of all it's a matter of being alert on the state of the Record button all the time. But I admit, I had some mistakes too.
Because the order of actions normally is : edit something, and then play the result, and supposing there should be some protective automatism in this, then it would be more appropriate to be able to switch to 'Edit off' as soon as some playbutton is pressed.
So in this case, it will be a conscious choice to activate Edit during playback.

Really Weird Person

So, does turning the record button off make the song not editable while it is playing, or does it just not record the changes (and not make the astreisk appear)?

Sam_Zen

With Rec button off no change of anything in the pattern, stopped or playing. But you can listen to a key in the meantime.
Without having the code written on the actual row in the actual channel.
Mind that this Edit button is only valid for the Pattern tab, so other setting-changes still can influence the playback of the song.
The asterisk appears in the titlebar as soon as something has changed in the loaded song during the session.