[Experiment] No Odds (XM)

Started by Sam_Zen, December 03, 2006, 00:30:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

The Odd Time signature compo has been called off, so I like to publish my contribution here anyway.
It's called No Odds - 5:19 - 12 Chs - 10 Instr. Based on a cycle number of 7.

KrazyKatz

Where'd you get that great sounding bass line ?
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Sam_Zen

It's a sequence-sample from "Spanish Key" by Miles Davis.
So, to be complete, the acoustic guitar is a sample of the band 'Sepultura', and the 'studio'-sample is made with the program "Audiopaint".

Nice of you to mention, because I'm still obliged to add that info in the comments of the module, so I will update.

apple-joe

Very, very enjoyable, but also, the bass line was pre-recorded, I can't forget about that. That said, you created a great atmosphere, used it nicely. This one obviously have more, and longer, pre-recorded sounds than "Have you?", but in total I may prefer this one no matter what, because of its general nature.

Sam_Zen

Let me explain a bit : I have worked with pre-recorded sounds quite frequently, but I never copy it just like that. I consider it being 'raw' material, so I always will put work in it, to 'bend' the sound to the sample I need. Especially the recording of a part of a track to use as 1 or more complete bars, will take quite some effort in cutting and finetuning to get a smooth loop going on.
Sometimes I use more than one of those out of the same song. Then all loops must have exactly the same bytelength, to be able to replace one by another, without having hiccups in the tempo, or getting small gaps with silence.

apple-joe

Effort in cutting and finetuning for looping, I see that one. Requires some dedicated exploration. On the other hand, one should be careful in order not to forget about creating/coming up with completely new parts by oneself - not used as a sequence in any song earlier. Anyway, I don't think you have any trouble balancing that line, it's just that there is a theoretical "threat".

Sam_Zen

I see what you mean. Some people from the Musical Industrial Complex are used to call this : 'stealing' samples. I don't see it that way. First of all I will mention the source. And that's good enough as far as I'm concerned.
When "serious" composers like Stockhausen uses recordings of Japanese radio-broadcasts to make an electronic tape-collage, nobody talks about stealing, by the way.

I don't see that much difference between one sound source or another, made by myself or from the external. I press a button on the synth, and an order of sounds are coming out. I press the button on a cd-player, and sounds are coming out..
I just pick the sound-material that I find appropriate when working on a piece.

But I'm aware of the theoretical "threat", but as long as I don't use 'external' sounds just to make it nice 'n easy for myself to get a quick beat, no problem.