Mute Txx:SetTempo

Started by peterpiper0815, July 30, 2024, 00:29:31

Previous topic - Next topic

peterpiper0815

Is there any way to mute(disable) the Txx parameter?

Background:
i like a rather loose feeling in the pattern and use the Txx parameter to create minimal timing fluctuations. Similar to the minimal fluctuations of old drum computers
I use a separate channel with only the Txx commands.
If I mute this channel, the Txx commands are still processed.
Is it possible to set somewhere that Txx is no longer taken into account when the channel is muted?
This would make A/B comparisons easier, for example

Thank you

Saga Musix

Global commands are always processed. The only exception is when working in the S3M format, because Scream Tracker 3 was pretty much one of the very few trackers where global commands in muted channels were not executed, so this behaviour is relevant for existing S3Ms in the wild. But I guess downgrading to S3M format is probably not an option for you.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

a/b comparisons are great for making music in general... so it would be nice to have this as a toggle, maybe in the compatibility thing, for mptm files since it is how another format did it natively after all.

Saga Musix

Just adding the S3M behaviour to MPTM may sound like a tempting quick fix, but in practice, it's probably not a good solution. As this behaviour affects any global commands, not just tempo commands, S3M files often become very difficult to edit once you start soloing channels. Any changes to global properties such as global volume and tempo will be ignored, so once you solo a channel the song can easily play at the wrong tempo and wrong volume. Once we take modern features such as plugin automation into account, even the solo-ed instruments may sound completely wrong, too, as a result.

I don't have a solution ready but what could work is something similar to what can be found in Imago Orpheus: Distinguishing between muted and disabled channels. Muted channels just mute the audio output, while disabled channels won't even process global commands. That way you could decide to, say, temporarily disable a channel only containing those micro tempo changes, but some global volume changes or plugin parameter changes placed on another channel will continue to work even if solo another channel to single out some instruments.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

interesting, i would be all for that... maybe as a ctrl+shift click for disabling global effects, of the channel in the same way as we click it now to mute... could even keep the channel unmuted (and mutable in the usual way) so all it does is disable all the global effects in that channel... certainly would be niche, I admit I rarely use the global effects any more since I learned about the swing the only time I use timing effects is for global slow down or speed up, but yeah it would be great for a/b comparisons and a really enlightening thing to be able to toggle on and off for some workflows like the stated workflow of peterpiper here.