[REQ] Compatibility Mode

Started by Squirrel Havoc, March 02, 2006, 06:08:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

I am working on music for a game, and I need my XM and IT files to comply with the rules of FastTracker and ImpuleTracker, without having to use them. How about an options for each song to only allow settings and stuff to conform to the rules set by those trackers. I need this becuase I plan to use DUMB for the music playing, and it doesn't support MPT extensions (infact, no library seems to).

And sorry if this is a double post, I could have sworn I already asked this, but I couldn't find the thread.  :idea:
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

speed-goddamn-focus

BASS should support some (most?) MPT specific features/bastardizations, but this is a nice idea that I hope will be implemented. I'd like to extend the idea to let MPT be able to even use other playback engines (BASS, FMOD and perhaps others?)

Diamond

From the Todo list:

? Distinguish MPT's modified file format from standard .it/.xm. Add option to save as standard .it/.xm.
------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe it should be made more of a priority?  I could be wrong, but as far as I know, this feature shouldn't be very difficult to implement.  All that should be required is allowing saving of these formats without the MPT specific extensions.

rewbs

Quote from: "Diamond"All that should be required is allowing saving of these formats without the MPT specific extensions.
The way I'd like to do it is you set the file type of your track (which would in fact be a preset for a bunch of playback options/capabilities).. and if you set to standard IT/XM, then you are physically prevented from using MPT-specific extensions. If you change the type of your track from MPT to standard IT/XM, you are notified of all the stuff you will lose.

I could implement it the way you suggest quickly, but the user would get no notification that they might be losing data when they save.

Diamond

Quote from: "rewbs"
Quote from: "Diamond"All that should be required is allowing saving of these formats without the MPT specific extensions.
The way I'd like to do it is you set the file type of your track (which would in fact be a preset for a bunch of playback options/capabilities).. and if you set to standard IT/XM, then you are physically prevented from using MPT-specific extensions. If you change the type of your track from MPT to standard IT/XM, you are notified of all the stuff you will lose.

I could implement it the way you suggest quickly, but the user would get no notification that they might be losing data when they save.

Better to wait a bit longer and make it more flexible.  At least in my opinion.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Diamond"
Quote from: "rewbs"

Better to wait a bit longer and make it more flexible.  At least in my opinion.

I agree
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.