Top Ten of Games

Started by cyperkid, February 01, 2006, 11:40:51

Previous topic - Next topic

cyperkid

inspired by the thread about the remakes of game music i would like to ask the people about their favorite games
(i hope that there wasn't a thread about this before)

so, what were your favorite computer games
which game had the best music...
commodore stole my childhood

cyperkid

GB:
Tetris (never had one by my own, played it in supermarkets  :oops: )
NES:
SuperMarioBros (it still is)
SEGA:
don't know...was amazed by alexkid as a boy, but found it quite un-handy after getting it as a ROM
MEGADRIVE/SNES
(left them out, was busy with my A500 in those times)
C64
(left it out too)
AMIGA:
Transplant, 2P team mode (forever!!!)
MSDOS:
Civilization, Wizardry 6+7, Starcontrol2

best music ever:
Starcontrol2 (msdos)
i was pretty amazed finding out how to get the modules out of the game...

yeah, pretty good times!
:D

torvus

amiga:
ruff&tomble
chaos engine
zeewolf
gods
superfrog
Cannon Fodder
pc:
harbinger
arx-fatalis
monkey island
heroes

DavidN

Civ definitely has to be a favourite - its civilisation themes are very memorable, and I love the way that they've been revived in the newest Civ game.

I grew up mostly with Apogee, ID Software and Epic's shareware platformers - things like Secret Agent, Commander Keen, and Jazz Jackrabbit.

The Sonic series also had great music, for the first and second instalments at least - Crush 40 did a good job on the music for the modern games at first, but they seem to be going a bit mad now.

I have to mention Transport Tycoon as well - Chris Sawyer seems a talented jazz musician as well as isometric management game maker.

Squirrel Havoc

My fave of all time

NES: Bionic Commando
SNES: Super Metroid
Genesis: Shadowrun
3DO: Killing Time
Saturn: Fighting Vipers
PSX: Wipeout (the first)
Neo-Geo & Arcade: Samurai Showdown 1
PS2: Gran Turismo 4
GameCube: Res Evil 4
GBA: Pokemon Ruby  :oops:
DS: Meteos
PSP: Wipeout Pure
Xbox: Burnout Takedown
Gameboy Color: Donkey Kong Country
Jaguar: Alien Vs Predator
32X: The Sonic game, forgot what it's called. Chaotix I think
Sega CD: Snatcher or Sewer Shark (I LOVED FMV games)
Lynx: Shadow Of The Beast
GameGear: Sonic 2
PC: Hmmmmmm.....not counting emulators, I would have to say Fenix Blade demo, since the full version isnt out yet
Virtual Boy: Warioland or something like that
Dreamcast: Seaman! "Play play play"!

The altime for any system.........*drum roll*.....Killing Time for the 3DO. I have some super fond memories of the 3DO, it was killer (and way too damn expensive!)

Can you tell I love videogames?  :P
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

Pff I can't really give a list cus I can't really remember. Soo many good games. Therefore I'll name the few that actually ment something to me (and changed my life)

C64: Boulderdash (with highlight on the Construction Set edition)
PC: Dune 2 (Just the best game there is, if only the controls were as good as C&C)
PC: C&C (with highlight on Tiberian Dawn, Tiberian Sun and Red Alert)
PC: Medal of Honor
PC: Call of Duty 2 (1 was good, but not a highlight, due to 2)
Sega: Sonic (most definatelly)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cyperkid

oh, i realize that most are still playing enthusiastically

i totally lost contact to any game-worlds when the technical demands of the games grew faster than my pocket-money.  :shock:

:cry:

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "cyperkid"i totally lost contact to any game-worlds when the technical demands of the games grew faster than my pocket-money.

I know what you mean, thats why I either got the systems as gifts, or bought them after they stopped making games for them (like the 3DO, since I didn't have the $700(!) for a new one)
-

Sam_Zen

My main set (2K) is a serious toolkit for composing, so no games there.
But I still have an old AT (33 kHz) running on DOS 6.2 to play games (also for my grandchildren if they visit me).
Still 256 colors, but nevertheless. I saved there for history's sake :
1- Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. ( I have drawn out on paper most of the maps of each level)
2- Dune I. Played it during about a year in the past, and still got the feeling then not to have reached even halfway.
3- Tetris of course. You can find the original Russian one here
4- Plus Tetris variations like Blockout and Quatris
5- Lemmings ! My grandchildren love it. Plus the Xmas version.
6- Pinball (Epic, if I recall right) plus the variant Silver.
7- The Incredible Machine was a great one. Lost it somewhere along in time. Still looking for it to add again to my collection.
8- Some very old puzzles like Connexion, Sokoban, Superfly, Xonix, Scrabble, Columns, LoadRunner.
9- Some first versions of adventures like King's Quest and Space Quest. Plus the hilarious Leasure Suit Larry.
A- Plus a game modelled around Monthy Python, where you have to guess the right cheese to enter the game.
Most of them saved on Zip-disks 100 Mb, which has become a historical medium too in the meantime.

I agree with cyperkid, that recent games demand a huge potential of the hardware, so it gets rather expensive,
and not worth the investment, if you're not a frequent gamer.

speed-goddamn-focus

Top ten games of all time in no specific order:

Speedball 2 - Amiga
The Secret of Monkey Island - Amiga
Cannon Fodder - Amiga
Sensible World of Soccer - Amiga
Turrican 2 - Amiga
Doom 2 - PC
Unreal Tournament - PC
IK+ - C64
Last Ninja 2 - C64
The Great Gianna Sisters - C64

DavidN

The King's Quest games confuse me - I like them a lot, but they're absolutely horrendously designed. There are so many opportunities, particularly in King's Quest 5, to completely screw yourself over without realising it until hours of game time later, and also too many puzzles that involve guesswork, like navigating the desert in the same game. Nevertheless, they have enough raw charm in them to save themselves. It's most baffling.

I didn't realise we were posting favourite games rather than favourite game soundtracks. To keep up, here's a list of classics that I have on my hard drive (anyone's welcome to request one...)

http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~wong/retro.html

speed-goddamn-focus

Yeah, the Sierra instant death was awful, the lucasfilm impossible-to-die approach was much better!

rewbs

Here are the PC games I've enjoyed the most (in order of date):
Prince of Persia (1990)
Lemmings (1991)
Falcon 3 (1991)
Flashback (1992)
Wolfenstein 3D (1992)
Dune 2 (1992)
Alone in the Dark (1992)
The Incredible Machine (1993)
XWing (1993)
Day of the Tentacle (1993)
Doom (1993)
Syndicate (1993)
Worms (1994)
Half-Life (1998)
Max Payne (2001)
Unreal Tournament 2004 (2004)

Couldn't keep it down to 10. :)

What was the Sierra instant death?

speed-goddamn-focus

Oh I have to point out that two-player Lemmings with two mice attached to an Amiga is quite possibly the most fun to be had with clothes on.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"Oh I have to point out that two-player Lemmings with two mice attached to an Amiga is quite possibly the most fun to be had with clothes on.

You mean you never played it naked? Come on, it's so much cooler!  :lol:  :oops:  :P
-