[Synth] KRM (mp3)

Started by Oliwerko, August 30, 2009, 16:28:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliwerko

Hiya;

I was making this piece for ages and finally finished. I'm still a beginner, so I would be very grateful for any feedback you could give me on this.

You can get it here:
http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/19478676/file.html

Thanks.
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

uncloned

nice, sounds very early scene (which is good)
could use with some more changes in melody and harmony

Sam_Zen

A classic scene indeed. I guess you wasn't sure how to end it.

psishock

you said that you're a beginner so i will comment having that in my mind.

What you could do to make it more interesting to let that 4 stage chord off sometimes and switch to other ones, perhaps pause for a while on one chord then continue with the refrain, or similar variations. Oh, and dont be afraid to go even more creative and crazy with that main melody. :D Letting yourself go never hurts, you can develop quite catchy stuffs over time.

Quote from: "Sam"I guess you wasn't sure how to end it.
i don't think he was thinking very much of that, he was busy adding those variations, layers to make the song last at least around 3-4mins.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Oliwerko

Thanks for listening, folks. :)

Quote from: "uncloned"nice, sounds very early scene (which is good)
could use with some more changes in melody and harmony.

Thanks. See below for the changes...

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I guess you wasn't sure how to end it.

Well, I wasn't at first, but then I came up with the cliché panned echo thing on the accompanying melody, so I just gradually withdraw the other channels so I could do it. I found it kind of pleasing...

Quote from: "psishock"you said that you're a beginner so i will comment having that in my mind.
I can take a lot, so don't be easy on me  8)

Quote from: "psishock"What you could do to make it more interesting to let that 4 stage chord off sometimes and switch to other ones, perhaps pause for a while on one chord then continue with the refrain, or similar variations.
That's a problem I always keep solving. I am pretty much unable to go off the main "topic" of the song and change it in a greater deal. There are hundreds of songs I've heard that totally change themselves during the running time, yet I don't know how to unleash myself from one theme.

Quote from: "psishock"Oh, and dont be afraid to go even more creative and crazy with that main melody.  Letting yourself go never hurts, you can develop quite catchy stuffs over time.
Heh, this was probably one of my most crazy melodies up to date, but as you speak of it, I could go on. It just seemed too much in this track.

Quote from: "psishock"i don't think he was thinking very much of that, he was busy adding those variations, layers to make the song last at least around 3-4mins.
Oh yeah, I was. You'd be surprised how many hours I am fiddling with the slightest changes, including the end. I'm quite thorough, even if it doesn't seem so.  :wink:

And the fact I was adding/changing to make it at least 3-4mins is true. That's another trouble I run into most of the time. I invent a few melodies at one point, and then just keep varying and changing them, combining various channels together and so on (sometimes I just put too much of running time of some sounds because I just love them and can't get enough of the sound itself. Then it turns out to be too long.) I know that can easily turn out to be boring, did it do so in this track?

Thanks for any tips and pointers guys, your help is much much appreciated.
I am afraid of murder.

psishock

Quote from: "Oliwerko"And the fact I was adding/changing to make it at least 3-4mins is true. That's another trouble I run into most of the time. I invent a few melodies at one point, and then just keep varying and changing them, combining various channels together and so on (sometimes I just put too much of running time of some sounds because I just love them and can't get enough of the sound itself. Then it turns out to be too long.) I know that can easily turn out to be boring, did it do so in this track?
Variations made your track less boring than it would be without them, so don't worry, it comes handy.
You said that you have trouble with length and structure ideas, well my latest pieces are lasting around 12minutes, and i'm very variable within the structure development, so check them out, im sure it could give you some ideas how could you progress and improve:

Signal Chain - Aura (stronger, longer piece)
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2636.0

Signal Chain - Wake up in empty city (calmer, more "dreamy" one)
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3335.0

don't mind to compare the sounding, you will improve that over time, focus on the structure. Also, don't be afraid to experiment with new stuffs, good ideas can pop out from time to time.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Oliwerko

Yeah, I've been checking Aura before, it's good  :wink:

Thanks for pointers.
I am afraid of murder.