[Analog] No fever (OGG)

Started by Sam_Zen, October 19, 2006, 04:46:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

A more extreme example after the non-4/4 request.
It's called No Fever . Because the sequence has a length of 37 steps.

apple-joe

Yeah, this is nice. It's only the first few seconds yet, but this is what I meant by different sounds. Interesting to hear another work of yours - but with a different sound. The general SamZen originality is still very present, but as mentioned; different sound, which provides for a refreshing impression.

Sam_Zen

Thanks. 'is still present' is a very important remark to me, Because there is a huge difference in making analog or digital works. The methods, the parameters, the controls, etc. So if there is some 'common' thing, I'm pleased to hear that.

apple-joe

Yes, the 'common thing' I think is your unique approach. The free mind; you disregard most that there is to disregard when it comes to standard tonality, I think. You provide a lot of mysterious sounds that are hard to relate to any scale or anything. Listening to 'No Fever' again now as I'm writing. Very unusual.

Relabsoluness

Nice tune; some parts really tickled the laughing nerves  :)

Sam_Zen

2 apple-joe
I don't disregard things, just as being opposed to some standard tonality. It's always a conscious choice regarding the work I have in mind. So if I want to make a landscape, I don't care about tonal chords, but choose to look for other relations between the sound-events. And it would be quite difficult, to make a statement about executions, like in "Lineup", while only using very correct notes neatly fitting in A major.
With your comment about 'Chisp' in mind about counts and subcounts : Try this one.
You will find that the recognition of a cycle of 37 steps is beyond the capacity of the human mind.
It immediately tries to find sub-accents in the cycle, to keep up with it. In this case, as you mentioned, the tonal changes makes the difference, and result in the sub-count.
My experience : 1 x 1, 6 x 5, 2 x 3. Like in Indian raga's where a 'Tala' of 11 beats can be read as 3 x 3 and 1 x 2.
As an indication of the complete cycle of 37 I added a bell sound.

2 Relabsoluness
You made me curious.. I'm always pleased if I can cause a smile of course, but which elements of the song appeared to be so funny, I wonder. Is it the collection of sounds, the characteristics, the structure ?

apple-joe

I see, SamZen. I obviously used the wrong word. I looked up 'disregard' in the dictionary, and I see why you reacted. I didn't mean that you ignore certain elements - rather that you consciously choose different solutions; solutions that include a very wide approach to tonality. This approach again,  naturally, provides for a low focus on standard (...narrow??) tonality and scales. I myself have developed into enjoying this approach more and more as time goes by.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 Relabsoluness
You made me curious.. I'm always pleased if I can cause a smile of course, but which elements of the song appeared to be so funny, I wonder. Is it the collection of sounds, the characteristics, the structure ?
Combined with the background sequence, the sound whose pitch slides up starting from beginning and finally goes 'frenzy' around 0:40.

Sam_Zen

2 apple-joe
Your semantic analysis is right. I'm pleased if you enjoy these things. Even if you decide for a classical solution for some song, at least you know you had several options.
This is not only about how to make things, but also about how to receive them, as a listener.

2 Relabsoluness
I see what you mean.