Saving details

Started by Sam_Zen, October 26, 2006, 00:20:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Of course, if saving a module file, many settings of MPT are saved with it.

But I'm afraid, less people know, that, for example, the player settings like equalizer and reverb also are valid, when the module is exported as a wavfile (I guess the same with mpee3).
So, if you had activated the bass expansion while playing back a song, then open a new song, and do a Save as Wav, the same bass expansion is active in the wav-file.
On the other hand, this can offer quite some flexibility if one wants to export only one or a selection of channels to seperate wav-files. One can choose to add different kinds of player-reverb to each output-file.

LPChip

You make a good point there.

Because do we want to have this always set in the rendering?

On my laptop, where the soundquality isn't that good, I use the EQ to adjust the sound to be closer to my desktop pc, but thats only for making the sound and to make sure I won't overdo certain area's like bass and high ends.

Maybe it would be a good idea to remove these from being affective when rendering to wav, or atleast popup a warning that these settings are in effect to allow you to disable them before rendering.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

I think people would be more confused if a render didn't sound like the playback.

Sam_Zen

I think so too.

This is not about a plead to remove this option, because I can use it very well. It is more a warning to users to be alert with this aspect. If somebody is planning to render some module-file on forehand, then one will probably open the file, and do a 'save as wav', without playing it back. Then the existing player-setting becomes relevant, because it's a setting maybe belonging to another song.

LPChip

Yeah I agree. So a warning would be a good idea.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Snu

Quote from: "LPChip"Yeah I agree. So a warning would be a good idea.
how about an enable/disable check box on the render dialog? could be next to the change player setting button.
please no warning tho... it already takes too many clicks to render a wav file (since it doesnt save the configuration, have to change it to 96/24 for every time...)

Sam_Zen

2 Snu
Might be an option. On the other hand, this check box would mean another click, which you find already too many..
Such a box would be handy, for the moments I want to be sure to save a completely 'dry' wav, as is, despite playback
functions, but I still prefer a consciousness of actions by the user as the first condition.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 Snu
Might be an option. On the other hand, this check box would mean another click, which you find already too many...
Only if you want to change it.

Perhaps there can be a "beginner mode" that warns about absolutely everything that can possibly go wrong or be misunderstood ever?

Snu

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"Perhaps there can be a "beginner mode" that warns about absolutely everything that can possibly go wrong or be misunderstood ever?
heh, i like the idea, would allow for features like that without being annoying to the average user... would also improve mpt's already excellent learning curve

LPChip

Agreed! :D Such feature would be awesome. I already spoke with Rewbs about adding a beginners mode and an advanced mode where beginners mode hide features like VST's so you can learn the basics etc. Adding certain warnings is a good idea for this mode though!:)