MPP Mysterious Button

Started by Louigi Verona, November 16, 2006, 07:18:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

I've always been bothered by this. MPP has a button Edit in MPT which never works. Why is it there then?

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"I've always been bothered by this. MPP has a button Edit in MPT which never works. Why is it there then?

It does work, but...

The edit button triggers old MPT version 1.16 to be launched. If you don't have the old mpt installed, then it won't work. It can be that you have to open MPT 1.16 in order for it to work, or it can be broken, but I know that it is there for this reason.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

I also know it's there for this reason, but it doesn't launch any version of MPT, not old, not new. And, actually, never did.

Louigi Verona

This is yet an open question.

Sam_Zen

I've never used this button, because I had another method of switching between tracker and player.
I checked the executable, and I found the buttontext, but I couldn't find any references to some editing app. Not 'MPT', not '116', not 'Mptracker'.
So maybe it was meant to jump to, I think too, MP116, but maybe never built.

Louigi Verona

I like this button anyway

LPChip

It once have worked. I know that for sure, but I don't remember what I had to do.

But I also remember vaguelly that there were crashes when pressing this button, so perhaps it has been disabled, but not removed?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

could be! what if we ask Olivier?

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"could be! what if we ask Olivier?

That could work... :P Can you tell us what he says?

MisterX

The button relied on a feature of Windows to assign different actions to different file types, in which Windows will send the Tracker file to MPT for an "edit" command.

For example:

In Windows XP, open Windows Explorer, click on Tools > Folder Options.  Click on the tab for "File Types", let it populate, and then find a Tracker file type, such as "IT".

Highlight the IT filetype by left clicking on it once, and then in the section below the file type selection window, click on the "Advanced" button.

You should have a small window named "Edit File Type" open.  If there is not already an entry called "Edit" in the display window, click the "New" button and create an entry called "Edit".  Use the "Browse" button to find your MPT executable.

I just tried this on my own system, and it works just fine.

You may also want to uncheck "Always register extensions" from MPP so that the changes made to the filetypes are not overwritten each time MPP starts.
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

LPChip

Awesome :) Didn't know that.