N00b - How do I change the sound fonts used with a midi?

Started by Reenen, October 10, 2006, 12:22:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Reenen

Hi there...

I've recently volunteered to create music for an open source game.

We considered MID files, and we considered OGG files, but both has it's drawbacks, and MODs (IT/XM etc.) is a very good middle ground.

I found OpenMPT, and it looks like it will suit my needs exactly!

I imported my MIDI that I created into the application, and the result was almost my midi as it would play normally.  (Some notes stopped short from what they usually would, but I edited that out, and now it's almost spot on).

BUT, the soundfont that was used for the file was the general windows wavesynth files... and not the Timidity sound font that I downloaded.  So I ended with a midi that sounded crap, and was 100x the size. :-(  (240kb)

Now I know this is possible, but I'd like some help please...

I want to use the timidity sound fonts for my 2 instruments I use... Strings, and Piano.  This is how I figured that the file should not be 240kb, but closer to 50kb (240kb is only 400kb short of the .OGG file).

So could anyone help me create a funky sounding 50kb mod for this?

(Errhh I hoped I could attach the .mid)

Thanks in advance...

-Reenen

LPChip

Your best bet is to convert the soundfont to an impulse tracker instrument. (sf2/sbk to iti).

Depending on the instrument, it can be that you'll need several instruments to get the same sound.

After that, its a matter of reconstructing the midi file. You can use the import format for it, but I recommend doing it from scratch, as it will be better for editing afterwards. (import screws up where notes are placed)

EDIT: one tip though:

If you want the screwing up reduce to as much as possible, edit your midi file first, and set the tempo to exactly 125 BPM. If the tempo changes, then remove every change, so the song is a constant 125 bpm.

The reason for 125 bpm is default tempo setting in mpt.

Go to your setup screen, to the midi tab, and set: file import-> Speed = 6, pattern size = 64.

Note, the above settings are very strict, which means that the notes are being squashed to a smaller grid than midi can have. This should be great for most people, but if not, then set the patternsize back to 128 or even 256.

If done correctly, you should have a song where almost no errors occour in time shifting.

If it goes wrong, try tempo = 120 (i'm not sure what setting i used to get a good import)

When it goes wrong, notes will be out of place which creates weird sound as if the player is drunk, and requires alot of altering. (so, getting the speed well is the best thing you can aim for.)

Hope this helps.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Reenen

Oh, I think I was lucky... my song is at 120 bpm anyway...

I only needed to edit out early note ends.  But what I really want is a smaller file... :-)  My file isn't too bad.  But with the game only 3mb as is, having sound files at 250kb is probably a bit rough.

As a side note... what is the difference between the different types of files (xm, mod, it, etc.)?

LPChip

The difference between .mod, .s3m .xm, .it are their abilities. The order on the left is the order of appearance, and thereby their abilities. I recommend to use .it in any situation, unless .it is not allowed/supported.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs