[Easy Listening/Live Recording] Movements of Life (.ogg)

Started by LPChip, October 01, 2006, 18:17:02

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

As you might know, I play the piano next to my tracking abilities.

I've decided to record some of my skills. Note: Its a direct recording, which means that I was unable to correct any wrong played parts. I have improvised the entire song :)

http://lpchip.com/download/LPChip-MovementsOfLife.ogg

Songlength: 7:06, filesize: 5,6 mb

Am curious what you guys think of this song. Oh, and don't give me critics about the soundquality. There's not much I can do on that area :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

apple-joe

A few minutes ago I had a session with my retro keyboard. I think this is how I tried to sound like. Sounds really good LPChip. Quite a... 'full' (or rich) sound. Several things going on. Backing and melody. I think I'm unable to do that yet.

LPChip

I've bough a digital piano recently, and it really improved my skills because of the hammer logic :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I know little about classical, but I heard a nice, contemplative, improvisation.

Snu

quite pretty, except for a little clipping in the recording :\
yes, weighted keys rock!
what brand/model of piano is it?

tho i dont know why you call it classical, sounds to me much more like modern 'easy listening' style (ie, yanni, dax johnson).

LPChip

Lol, to me: just a piece on the piano is classical :P I'll change the style to Easy Listening. Thanks :)

I have a Roland FP-2 Digital Piano.

As for the clipping in the record, Sorry? :P

When I had it recorded, it was all soft and too low in volume compared to other pieces. I couldn't really normalise because there were a few peaks. So I tried to make it sound better using a few tweaks, but yeah, that resulted in clipping here and there :( But better that, than a to require you to turn up the volume.

Snu

Quote from: "LPChip"I couldn't really normalise because there were a few peaks. So I tried to make it sound better using a few tweaks, but yeah, that resulted in clipping here and there :( But better that, than a to require you to turn up the volume.
actually, personally i would prefer to turn up the volume.
but, what about using a compressor to get rid of the peaks?

LPChip

Hmm... I though that I needed a limiter for that, and that didn't worked :P

Sam_Zen

Maybe you can the remove the clipping afterwards by using the nagware Peak Limiter
You have to convert to a 16-bits wav-file first.
Analyze Peaks can be set in tenths, Limit Peaks and Normalize in decimals.
A first thing to avoid clipping : never normalize a file to 100 %.

cubaxd

Snu

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Maybe you can the remove the clipping afterwards by using the nagware Peak Limiter
huh? how could you remove the clipping?
clipping is when the amplitude data for the wave form is above what is able to be recorded, thus it is lost data, not extra data.
you could possibly reduce the clipping effect with an interpolation, but i havnt seen a program that would just interpolate the clipped signals.

lp: as far as i know, all limiters are just a type of compressor (just more limited ... no pun intended), and a compressor can be set up as a limiter by setting the compression ratio very high.

Sam_Zen

2 Snu
Remove maybe the wrong expression technically spoken. If there's clipping, it's there. But I suggested a way to 'ease the pain' in the output. Because it converts the square tops of the clippings into less HF-elements, resulting in a smoother waveform.

LPChip

Well, I still have the original waveform that was very soft, so if I can find a way to make that waveform a bit louder without resulting in clipping, I can alter the song.

The issue is that I have no real descent wave editor installed. I tried to do it with Audacity, but due to the lack of VST support (only using their own interface which means that you can't see the real interface) it was very hard to get the right sound. Besides, I was too anctious to get the song published, as I was very pleased with the result :D

2 Cubaxd: tnx :)

Sam_Zen

Maybe with Audacity, this VST Enabler can help.

If you just want to make the original somewhat louder, still the Peak Limiter can do it. You can skip the limiter and just use the Normalize function. Setting it to e.g. 98 % makes things louder without any chance of distortion.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Maybe with Audacity, this VST Enabler can help.

If you just want to make the original somewhat louder, still the Peak Limiter can do it. You can skip the limiter and just use the Normalize function. Setting it to e.g. 98 % makes things louder without any chance of distortion.

I have used the VST Enabler but it didn't do me much good, as I miss the plugin's interface, and the preview option only lets you listen to the first few seconds, so you must select what part you want to limit on, and then play on that untill you have the right settings, then cancel, select all, and apply, and hope it goes well.

The hard limiter it has, sucks. Couldn't do anything with it, but screw up the song. normaliser wouldn't work, as there's already one peak that gets to the top, so it didn't do anything. But I'll try more stuff with it.