Anyone else having problems with multisamp. inst?

Started by Squirrel Havoc, September 28, 2006, 08:20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

I just recently worked on a song using the latest beta MPT (8/20/06), and I am using a multisample guitar instrument with about 9-11 samples or so. All was well, and I was working and adding new instruments, then when I hit D#4 for the guitar, I heard a snare drum. So I went looking at the sample map and the numbers looked ok. So I went to that sample for that note, and it was the snare drum I had loaded after the guitar. So I reloaded the guitar sample, then D#4 was right, then I decided to load the snare drum as a new instrument, and yep it overwrote the guitar sample. My solution was to extract that guitar sample, add it to a new sample slot, then map the instrument notes to that one, and leave the old slot to the snare.

As you can see, this isn't a bug report, because I am wondering if I am just doing something wrong here, I am really new to multisample instruments. So has anyone else run into this problem? And if so, is it really a bug, or if not, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks bunches!
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"As you can see, this isn't a bug report, because I am wondering if I am just doing something wrong here, I am really new to multisample instruments. So has anyone else run into this problem? And if so, is it really a bug, or if not, what am I doing wrong?
I haven't encountered such, but if that's not a bug, at least it sounds like something with confusing implementation. Maybe an example file could be handy?

LPChip

I am thinking this to be a bug actually. Not standard behavor I think...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

Ok I can describe now how to recreate this bug, and it's not as damaging as I made it sound.

1) Open a new IT file
2) Load a multisample instrument into slot 1
3) if the song has, say 5 samples, play 2 or 3 notes to use 2 or 3 of those samples.
4) Use the "Cleanup Song" feature and remove unreferenced samples.
5) Create a new instrument with the "New" button
6) Drag&Drop a sample (I havent tried with an instrument yet) onto the new instrument window.
7) It will now be loaded into an old slot that the first instrument was using, while both are now mapped to it.

Things to note. If your first instrument used samples 1 through 5, then clicking the new button will create sample 6 and map everything to it. BUT, when you drag/drop the sample, it will change the mapping for one of the previous slots that contained a sample removed with the cleanup song feature.

As I read this again, I am starting to realize that someone is more than likely going to say "if you don't like this behaviour, don't do it that way/cleanup your song before you are done", since this doesn't really seem like a bug, since if you arent using that sample slot from the first instrument, then it's up for grabs. But leaving it mapped to both instruments is just asking for trouble I think.
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Snu

sounds to me like mpt should unmap the notes in the multi-sampled instrument when their respective samples are removed with the cleanup song feature.  
this would solve the problem, and would be more logical as well.

and no, you shouldnt do the sample cleanup feature if you are planning on adding more notes to you song :p
regardless of if the notes are accidentally mapped to another instrument, the multi-sampled instrument wouldnt play those notes properly anyway.

LPChip

Lol, yeah indeed. This is expected behavor, but I agree on the linked samples.

Maybe it can be made so that it does remove the sample data to cleared samples, but keep the slots busy so that whenever you add a sound, it will not overwrite the empty samples, so you can replace the instrument to make the samples work again.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs