Is this a "Chat about anything."-forum?

Started by Kelpos Numidio, September 23, 2006, 14:00:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelpos Numidio

The thing is... I saw a topic being locked...
"I consider this as totally off-topic."
:S can some one explain, please?
I'm more writer than an musician...

speed-goddamn-focus

Having read the post in question, I can only agree with LPChip for locking the thread. If a person wants to change american politics, I don't think general chatter is the right place.

cyperkid

Quote from: "Kelpos Numidio"The thing is... I saw a topic being locked...
"I consider this as totally off-topic."
:S can some one explain, please?

:shock:
you just registered to ask this question?
honestly, i don't understand your point
well, seems that we (the frequent visitors) all can live with Lpchip's decision, if that really hurts you that much maybe you should think about switching to another tracker
8)
commodore stole my childhood

LPChip

The topic was okay, but since people gave feedback about it being strange, which I agree AND the author threathened me, I locked it and removed the content.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Sorry for the confusion. I wrote 'totally off-topic',  but I meant the tone of the post and indeed the threat.

LPChip

I have verified that this is the same user that made the other post.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"*cough* IP Ban, *coughcough* :evil:

Nah, he hasn't did something that makes me do so yet. (apart from that other post) but people should get more than one chance right?

This is his.

Sam_Zen

I poll SoundCrafter, but even with 'one more chance', maybe the IP of the political post could already be banned, because obviously a new account by the same person is used (if any IP-difference of course).

"Chat about anything."
Things like this are in fact a civilised invitation in a symbolic way.
In reality, of course it's never 'anything'. The same problem with the concept 'freedom'.
So it's a non-discussion, useless.
A forum is a growing entity. With members and visitors who have common interests or attitudes about certain subjects.
A community with certain properties. So even inside a general chat some topics could appear for the rest as 'outside'.

This is the Modplug Forum. How would you see it, if some new member only posts things about the right preparations to roast a duck ?

LPChip

The thing is... This is a music community, and although the general chatter area is a place to chat about everything, the question here asked was weird compared to the relation with music with the addition of it having a poll which is IMHO not necessary, especially since the answers were kind of odd.

Like: The glass is half full, The glass is half empty, the glass is full but only to the half, The glass is empty but has 50% of its content filled. Kind of similar answers with no real distinction between them.

The thing that broke the content though was the threathning. I do respond badly on that as most other admins btw.

Kelpos Numidio

I?m sorry. I mean it, I feel really bad now, I re-read the post (I saved it in a document*) and really saw your point in that is was disturbing.
And I got your point in the rest too.
I feel realy bad now  :oops: .

* I didn?t PM it to anyone..
But just one thing...

QuoteThe topic was okay, but since people gave feedback about it being strange, which I agree AND the author threathened me, I locked it and removed the content.
Wasn?t a high warnlevel enough? No offence...

But I loled a little when I read You thougt I was 30 :)
I'm more writer than an musician...

LPChip

Appologies accepted :)

As for the ban, I rather prevent something from happening than that I have to clean up the mess :P

In this case, I prevented you from sending out a mass PM :P Not even sure if its possible, but no doubt there'll be someone that can find a way to do so.

XAVT

Quote from: "LPChip"
Nah, he hasn't did something that makes me do so yet.

I think PPH would have had quite a laugh reading that post. ;)
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

Sam_Zen

If I would receive a mass PM, I would define it as not personal, so probably it would go straight into the bin.
There are forums where the PM-option is disabled, and I can understand why.