Amplify whole song

Started by Stonebone, September 21, 2006, 17:39:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonebone

I have a module where both the global volume and all the channels' volumes are maxed but it is still not enough because the individual notes have a very low volume set (I didn't make this module). I can select a pattern and do Amplify, but this is very tedious to do on all patterns. Is there a way to do this across the whole song?

LPChip

There can be lots of reasons for this to happen.

Therefor first another question: Is this the only song that is this low in volume, or are there more?

Cus if more, then there should be a setting in OpenMPT that needs to be changed.

If its only this song, then perhaps you need to change the sample's waveform (normalise) or some volumes on the sample or instruments tab.

A third option is to add a VST effect, check the main and increase the GAIN value.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Stonebone

Maybe I should give some more background.

I'm making this Nintendo DS game Tetattds with some friends. In this game we are using an Impulse Tracker module that supposedly was created by someone using OpenSPC, which can log Super Nintendo (SPC) music to a module. Thing is that 8 channels that plays the music in the one speaker, then another 8 channels that plays exactly the same music in the other speaker.

This is clearly a waste of the limited CPU power on the Nintendo DS, so I deleted one set of channels and changed the panning on the other eight. But now the volume was halved.

So the problem really is that the volume on each note is very low.

PS. We have ported libmikmod for playing the module. Not sure if it is relevant for this issue.

Sam_Zen

LPChip is right, normalisation of the samples is the first thing to look at.

The halved volume is just a correct consequence of deleting the other eight channels, because having the same content.
If you have one channel, create a new channel and copy/paste the content of nr 1 in it, the result will be twice as loud because of addition.

A strange construction though. If the first 8 channels on the Left are exactly the same as the 8 on the Right, then the result will be just a mono-sound in the middle. No stereo at all.
Or did you re-arrange the first 8 channels in the individual panning ?

Snu

sam: openspc isnt terribly smart.  the left and right channels arent the same, they are how it does panning (make volume on the left channel 32, and 64 on the right, and the sound is panned to the right side).

stonebone: openspc's conversions are HORRIBLY inefficient, i would suggest using a module made from scratch (or a 'redone' version of the spc) if you are worried about cpu speed, or file size.

Stonebone

Quote from: "Snu"stonebone: openspc's conversions are HORRIBLY inefficient, i would suggest using a module made from scratch (or a 'redone' version of the spc) if you are worried about cpu speed, or file size.
Well I'm a programmer not a musician :-). If I could halve the cpu usage with this trick it would be enough for my purposes.

What I really should be doing is get someone to write some new music I guess.

XAVT

go to settings, soundcard properties and just push that volume higher.
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.