Reason to log in invisibly

Started by LPChip, September 08, 2006, 22:58:34

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

This forum has a feature that allows you to not show in the "who's online list" as in hidden mode.

I'm curious what motives are in using this feature, as some people here use it. (I won't give names to whom uses the feature)

The reason why I am curious for this is for when I'll make this feature for the new site, if its important enough to add it to the system...

I'm currently working on the usersystem so there will be a point in where I can choose to make a distinction in this kind of behavor.

Any feedback is really appreciated. Note: you can give your opinion in why you think someone would do it, which is handy if you don't want to reveal you using it. (I know who do it anyway)

Thanks. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I didn't noticed this feature so far, and I must say, I don't understand the use of it.
The net is a public place and if I'm there, I'm there. No need for dark glasses, a moustache and a big hat.

cyperkid

i also don't see points PRO the "hide mode".
the list who is online everytime gives me the warm feeling that i'm not the only nerd "wasting time" online then

[babblemode]
put surprisingly i became i frequent user of the ignore user-button in some strange forums...but shouldn't be necessary for this peaceful place
[/babblemode]
commodore stole my childhood

XAVT

ReePpERs the whole lot of em` ...

ban ban and again, BAN!
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

LPChip

Quote from: "XAVT"ReePpERs the whole lot of em` ...

ban ban and again, BAN!

But what's your opinion about using the hidden feature when logged in?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

I think it's pointless.  If I'm on, I'm on.  And just about everytime I'm on, I make a post. So if someone else is on, and they see me post, well, then the whole point of the hide "feature" is moot.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

XAVT

Lp`.. no offense but.. commmoooonn :)
if its there its there and as much as I apreciate your hard work I think you shouldnt waste your precious time on such a nonsense :)
I wont be the one to stop you ;)
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

anboi

i actually use this on some sites but only so no-one knows how sad i am hanging out and refreshing all day!

Waxhead

Pointless feature. - btw LpChip are you using a phpBB forum on the new site or are you rewriting all? - IMHO I think phpBB forums are a usermagnet but hey that's just me ;)

LPChip

Rewriting everything. I disagree that phpBB is a usermagnet, I see it as a spam target though ;) Which has the side effect of getting lots of members, but honestly, I rather have 10 users of which I know really wanted to register, than 10000 of which 9990 are fake.

Waxhead

You CAN configure the phpBB forum to require users to authenticate you know. Why re-invent the weel? - I wasn't aware that you would "dump" the standard forum (who I am a great fan of btw) and I assume there's a few more who might be shocked about your decision but hey, don't let me sound all negative here - good luck with your work dude ;)

edit: And I was ofcourse talking about phpBB2 forums just to point that out!

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Waxhead"and I assume there's a few more who might be shocked about your decision
Hehe I was shocked almost a year ago... I don't think that many are shocked now, it's only the top sticky ;-)

LPChip

phpBB just sucks when it comes to what I want to do.

First of all, I can't hack around in phpBB without being concerned that I need to redo all my modding when the next security update comes along.

Second, the anti spambot protection that is currently offered in the latest version isn't good enough, as spammers just register massive users and even though most don't activate their accounts because they provide a fake email adres, I still have alot of hasstle from them, as I receive the cannot deliver reports from each registration.

I've had an occasion where I got over 90 registrations a day!!! Guess what, I went to bed, woke up next morning having over 50 failed emails in my box. Why does it happen? because these spambots just do somekind of search for phpBB and end up here. Their script is programmed for this kind of board.

But the main reason I'm writing my own system is the first item.

Waxhead

Quote from: "LPChip"I've had an occasion where I got over 90 registrations a day!!! Guess what, I went to bed, woke up next morning having over 50 failed emails in my box. Why does it happen? because these spambots just do somekind of search for phpBB and end up here. Their script is programmed for this kind of board.

Why don't you just activate visual configmation in such case?!
http://www.dirtcellar.net/downloads/misc/what.PNG
spamscripts can still mail your admin account but anyway, visual confirmation should help you reduce the number of those mean fu**ers.

LPChip

Tried that, but I need to update to a newer forum software which I can't because I modded this one already. See my problem?

Also, Last time I updated the software (which was before most hacks) the skin stopped working which took me alot of time to get it back.