[MUX, dark march] Wwwarrr (XM)

Started by Sam_Zen, September 02, 2006, 01:12:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Since apple-joe mentioned a war-scene, I dug up this song about this feeling here .
2:33 - 13 lq samples - 12 Chs.
Note the addition of pattern 0 with 16 empty steps. An easy option to adapt to playback or recording conditions, where some delay is needed before the actual song begins. One can adjust the pattern as short or long as desired. By length, codes, etc. An heritage of the MOD-format, where you had to find room in the first pattern to declare the tempo-variables with the Fnn codes, because only then that property was saved.
It's just a protest-song with electronics, I guess..

apple-joe

Dark mood. Really awkward melodies - but war is awkward. Strong rhythms. Especially enjoyed the middle part. Some strange effects in there too, almost liked confused vocals?

Sam_Zen

Sample 9 indeed is a vocal sample with the tekst in dutch of : "8 minutes 42"

CrazyAznGamer

Awkward melodies, yes, but very strong melodies. I really love the hits.
The only little thing that bothers me are samples 7 and 8. They may be overused, especially during patterns 17-29, where they lose their effect, especially due to the fact the other beats present are more than enough to suffice.
Great song, otherwise.  :D

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention how awesome those string samples are. :)

xaimus

This was pretty awesome--very chaotic!  I couldn't resist the urge to modify it.  With bass.  And bass.  And more bass (and clipping).  And delay!  Oh god, delay is the best effect ever.

http://whatthebert.com/ihameed/boomtss/samzen-wwwarrr.ogg

Sam_Zen

2 xaimus
You've written something in my own history! You're the first one coming up with an other interpretation of a compo of mine.
That's why I don't see this as a modification. More as a personal performance of my song.
If I'm not wrong, I heared an added synth-instrument to the existing material. But I can't check this because I don't
have your module-format, only the ogg.
This is another aspect of how I build up many of my compo's. Somewhere there is still room for an 'alien' solo-sound,
made by the actual performer of my song. A pattern can be repeated in the row, to give room for that.
In the 1st half indeed too much bass to my taste. (I always want to have my own choice to 'pump up' the bass or not.
If I'm already confronted with a massive 100 %, that personal choice is gone)
The original material is sometimes a bit too soft imo, no problems with that, but samples 12/13 have clearly become too insignificant in volume, while these sounds are quite essential to the song.

Relabsoluness

2xaimus
Nice interpretation indeed; I especially enjoyed the 'flow' around 1:40 - 2:20. May I enquire was it done with OMPT?

xaimus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 xaimus
You've written something in my own history! You're the first one coming up with an other interpretation of a compo of mine.
That's why I don't see this as a modification. More as a personal performance of my song.
If I'm not wrong, I heared an added synth-instrument to the existing material. But I can't check this because I don't
have your module-format, only the ogg.
The module uses a few VSTs, but I'd be happy to upload it if requested.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"This is another aspect of how I build up many of my compo's. Somewhere there is still room for an 'alien' solo-sound,
made by the actual performer of my song. A pattern can be repeated in the row, to give room for that.
I never realized that.  I will have to listen to your modules again, with a new ear.  :)

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"In the 1st half indeed too much bass to my taste. (I always want to have my own choice to 'pump up' the bass or not.
If I'm already confronted with a massive 100 %, that personal choice is gone)
The original material is sometimes a bit too soft imo, no problems with that, but samples 12/13 have clearly become too insignificant in volume, while these sounds are quite essential to the song.
Heh, sorry about that.  I went overboard on the equalizers.

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"2xaimus
Nice interpretation indeed; I especially enjoyed the 'flow' around 1:40 - 2:20. May I enquire was it done with OMPT?
Yeah.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "xaimus"..a few VSTs, but I'd be happy to upload it if requested
Kind offer, but I don't use VST's, so the module wouldn't be complete for me anyway, to analyse things.

QuoteI never realized that. I will have to listen to your modules again, with a new ear.
Nice. This confirms my reasons to upload the so-called 'short' versions of my modules.
Meaning only the basic material of the compo with all the unique patterns in their time-order, but without
some duplicates anywhere in the song, chosen by me for my personal interpretation of the song.
The original module tracker, rather impossible for others to recover to imitate.

It could be part of the tracker-compo to describe :
~ You can play around with patterns 16-20 and you may add one extra instrument to do some solo there,
or use an existing instrument.
~ Another example : Keep the patterns with the codes and the pattern-row the same, but exchange (all)
instruments by others.
~ Reversing this : The instruments of the module stay the same, but other codes in other patterns are made.
In this case it looks like the same 'band' is playing another song. So the compo is more bound to be one
of some sounds together, than about the actual playing with them.
I see in every module of people a certain set of samples, which one could call an 'ensemble'.
But this band only plays one song in that arrangement. Another song is another band.
This is kind of a pity, seen the potential of one chosen set of instruments.

Sam_Zen

A recent long remix of Wwwarrr as OGG-file with tag-info. 5:31 - 5.4 Mb.
In fact, this is track B of the album "2 Ways 2 Play .. it" I published.

Asharin

I liked the original by Sam_Zen, but I liked the remix even more, not to say it is 'better' just seems more 'modern'  
Both are saved on my HD :D Then again nearly everything posted on here is haha.
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "xaimus"This was pretty awesome--very chaotic!  I couldn't resist the urge to modify it.  With bass.  And bass.  And more bass (and clipping).  And delay!  Oh god, delay is the best effect ever.

:boogie:

BACK TO THE 90s!!
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V