Ability to turn the song's tabs into windows

Started by LPChip, August 26, 2006, 12:53:24

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

There are currently 5 tabs per song: General, Patterns, Samples, Instruments and Comments.

Maybe its an idea to allow it to become seperate windows, so you can put them on 2 monitors if you have it?

I think its best to just allow to undock one window, and leave the song itself in tact, so it just makes a replica of that tab in a new window?

This way, you can edit the patterns while tweaking in the general tab, and if my other request about plugins has been realised, you can do that too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Have you tried to the 'new window' thing available in 'Window'-menu in the menu bar? It at least allows several windows for one modfile, but I've never tried it with multiple screens.

SoundCrafter

I think if most of us could afford multiple screens, we wouldn't be using modplug. Just my opinion though.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

When I click it, I do get several windows, which is quite the thing I'm after.

The only downside is, that updating of several windows isn't working properly. Eg: I have both views in the pattern editor, on the same pattern, and I insert one note, it doesn't directly show up on the other screen. Deleting works good though. I see you asking: why have the same window on the screen? :P But there could be occasions where synced updates between the windows is wanted.

Good to know this feature exists though.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"I think if most of us could afford multiple screens, we wouldn't be using modplug. Just my opinion though.
The price for an extra screen is less than most sequencers...

SoundCrafter

Perhaps that was phrased wrong. But if I had money to spare, I'd buy a sequencer before I bought a second monitor. Thats what I meant by 'afford'
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Snu

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"I think if most of us could afford multiple screens, we wouldn't be using modplug. Just my opinion though.
i have dual monitors, both of which i got for free (they are 17" crts - those are everywhere and dirt cheap).
it would be nice to have 2 21" lcd screens of course... but i would rather have two 17" crts than one 21" lcd.
that multiple windows thing is nice, but modplug needs the ability to save a default window layout for this to be very useful.
anyway, i think modplug works quite well on one monitor/one window, switching tabs is fast, and one spends most of the time in the pattern editor anyway.

LPChip

Don't forget the people that actually do have a bit of money but just hate sequencers :P

Snu

Quote from: "LPChip"Don't forget the people that actually do have a bit of money but just hate sequencers :P
which category i partially fall into... exept for the having money part -_-

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Snu"
Quote from: "LPChip"Don't forget the people that actually do have a bit of money but just hate sequencers :P
which category i partially fall into... exept for the having money part -_-
yeah me too... and also except hating sequencers. it's silly to hate a piece of software with so much nasty people in the world.

Waxhead

Heh... I like LpChips suggestion since I have three monitors. 19" CRT, 21" CRT and a 23" flatpanel :) ...oh and did I mention I also have a large 3000VA UPS that I run all my computers on. And ofcourse there's no point in having a nice stack of computers if you don't have a delicious 2 meter high 19" rack who happens to be extra deep, just for fun ...And I almost forgot - I didn't pay anything for most of this equipment ;D

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "Waxhead"Heh... I like LpChips suggestion since I have three monitors. 19" CRT, 21" CRT and a 23" flatpanel :) ...oh and did I mention I also have a large 3000VA UPS that I run all my computers on. And ofcourse there's no point in having a nice stack of computers if you don't have a delicious 2 meter high 19" rack who happens to be extra deep, just for fun ...And I almost forgot - I didn't pay anything for most of this equipment ;D

*Locks all of his music equipment up* YOU'RE NOT GETTING THIS!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So how did you get all that stuff for cheap as free?

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"

I for once have a job that actually gives me money to buy stuff :nuts:

Waxhead

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"

Actually they gave most of it away at where I work ;)
edit: And honestly - most of it is actually outdated :P

HvitRavn

Humm, the "New window" feature seems a little unstable. I tried it just now for the first time and clicked around on the tabs in the two windows, and suddenly MPT disappeared :/

Anyway, cool feature, it could be really useful if the windows could be detached from the MPT MDI parent window. Maybe I should start a new topic for that?