[electronica] 'the main reason' (mp3)

Started by xincbox, August 23, 2006, 19:44:17

Previous topic - Next topic

xincbox

Hello

Xincbox - The Main Reason

that violin is meant to sound like that. forgive the vocals sounding a little crappy, we struggle equipment-wise so opt for ?10 computer mics and webcams. comments would be nice!

Sam_Zen

Nothing much to add. A nice and tight piece of work. There are some clever breaks in it, and maybe a little more emphasis there with some crash-cymbal, or such, would make those moments even stronger.

xincbox

yeah i do tend to lack decent crash samples.. thanks for the feedback

SoundCrafter

Dude, great piece overall, but the Vocals, man! THe VOCALS!  If you plan on continuing putting Vox in your work, seriously consider using a better mic. Not a bad piece at all, a little funky, in a good way.

BTW: Can you post your lyrics up here?
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Sam_Zen

2 SoundCrafter
I don't agree about the vocals. The characteristic sound of it fits perfectly well in the environment of this piece.

And the idea that a 'better' (so more expensive) mike would lead to a better take of the vocal, is for a big part a myth created by the industry. I often had better results with cheap toy-like ones, because they are less sensitive for background-noise.
-

SoundCrafter

@sam_zen: True, BUT, you'll notice he says he uses webcams as well. When you consider the fact that a webcam's primary use is for capturing video, not audio, using a mic is a much better choice.

However, you are right. I tried recording my voice with my mic, and it sounded just fine. Webcams, however, do not.  That being said,
@Xincbox: Did you downsample the vocals at all?
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

xincbox

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"@Xincbox: Did you downsample the vocals at all?

not familiar with this term, explain!

And yeah, the webcam was the best option we had available at the time.. and the sound quality does lack i know, i may get them redone when i get back to college next month

QuoteBTW: Can you post your lyrics up here?

not 100% on this as i didn't write them but

[the main reason for having discipline is to enforce rules]
she takes prozac everywhere she goes
her smile is an upside-down frown
law and institute are taking this place over
bringing this town down, to control her

again, thanks for the feedback!

Sam_Zen

You're absolutely right about a webcam. I don't consider it as a mike, but as a camera with a mike in it.

xincbox

Any advice on decent affordable mics then ?

apple-joe

This was another very original one. Enjoyable leads. The overall atmosphere of the track was surely quite funky, as someone else mentioned already - and that's a GREAT thing. I like what is going on with the HI HAT line.

The vocals? hMm, different - but I wouldn't say bad. Not at all. I would like more from this artist.

Sam_Zen

2 xincbox
Not really. Just get as much mics as you can get, cheap or not. Every mic has its own characteristics, and should be chosen according to the conditions and the demands. And if there's only a webcam available, at least take it off the monitor, and use it as a mike.

The best control using a mike with a pc, is to pre-amplify the signal with something external first. So you can offer it as a 'line'-signal. Because most soundcards have quite a sloppy circuit for the microphone input, producing a peaky, non-biased signal with lotsa amplified background-noise.

Such pre-amp could be an old second-hand cassette-recorder (MC). They often have two microphone jack-inputs. Even if the tape-heads and mechanics are worn out, it's still useful. Just insert a dummy cassette, press 'record' and 'pause'
Then you can control the level of the 'aux' output with the record pot.

xaimus

I feel the same way about this track as I do about the other one you've posted--it sounds pretty muffled.

May I attempt to remix this?  :)

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "xincbox"
Quote from: "SoundCrafter"@Xincbox: Did you downsample the vocals at all?

not familiar with this term, explain!*1*

And yeah, the webcam was the best option we had available at the time.. and the sound quality does lack i know, i may get them redone when i get back to college next month

QuoteBTW: Can you post your lyrics up here?

not 100% on this as i didn't write them but*2*

[the main reason for having discipline is to enforce rules]
she takes prozac everywhere she goes
her smile is an upside-down frown
law and institute are taking this place over
bringing this town down, to control her

again, thanks for the feedback!

*1* Not relevant because you said you used a webcam, rather than a crappy mic. By downsample I reduce the quality, making it sound muffled.
*2*You didn't write them??? Ah well, you've (or whoever is singing) got excellent pitch control. Also, listening through headphones, I picked up a female voice. Is that your girlfriend who was in the 477th?

xincbox

Quote from: "xaimus"May I attempt to remix this?  :)

yes, if you'd like. you can get me on breakfastwithbungle@hotmail.com and i'll hand over the bits

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"*2*You didn't write them??? Ah well, you've (or whoever is singing) got excellent pitch control. Also, listening through headphones, I picked up a female voice. Is that your girlfriend who was in the 477th?

The person that sung them wrote them, that's a friend.. also female. she's into her soul/funk diva stuff and takes a lot of influence from it. the talking bits are again all me sampling my girlfriend

xaimus