[Trance/Electronica] (Experiments) In Instrumentation (MP3)

Started by SoundCrafter, August 22, 2006, 21:49:47

Previous topic - Next topic

SoundCrafter

Alright here it is! My first finished song from my debut album, Experiments.  Here's In Instrumentation, a tight little piece combining a sampled chip saw and a VSTi, two very opposite ends of the instrument spectrum. Hope you enjoy, please leave comments!

Download Here
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Sam_Zen

Be aware not to use the saw in a higher region, because after 0:54 it gets pretty false for a while.

CrazyAznGamer

Nice.

The saw sounds a bit offkey to me, especially as it gets higher. So I'll second what Sam says about getting too high with the saw. Maybe create another instrument with the saw and filter it for high regions?
I have no qualms about quality...
Uh...
The saw glissandos sound a bit shaky, offtune. I'm really missing those chip-staccatos too ;D
The ending is dragged on too long.

So yeah, quality stuff, but (I'm critting a bit of style here, so take what you choose) is a bit sparse, as if it could use a little more meat, harmony, ornamentation, etc.

SoundCrafter

Yeah...the saw. I knew it was off tune. I meant to tune it but was too busy writing to change it.  You guys are right about the higher regions. Sam, could you define 'false' in your context?  I'm afraid I can't agree with you on the Saw glisses.  That's kind of how they were meant to sound.

Ending too long? Hmm. That's kinda funny because before I posted this I did increase the ending. But I love that second saw melody so much (the one with the turns and what not) that I had to play it twice.

Ooh...Staccatos...I'll have to remember that. Thanks for all of your advice.
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

"False" is often the result of improper dutch to english translation :P

In dutch it means vals, which sounds like false in english, but SamZen refers to the term Offkey ;)

I do think (haven't listened to the song yet as I'm at work) that if the saw is offkey at the higher frequencies, it will also be offkey at the lower. Do note that a saw becomes sharper at its higher frequencies, which makes this offkey to appear quicker.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

Vals...Another word falls victim to the language barrier. Thanks for the heads up LP.  I will try to fix that saw, and when I do, I think I need to fix the ID3s. Are you guys who downloaded getting any artist or album info?

Sam_Zen

Thanks LPChip, 'offkey' it was. And you're right about the possibility for the lower region as well.

xincbox

-nice bassline
-not too keen on the effect on the saw (reverb?) but i guess that's personal preference
-lovely break at 1:08 :)
-the heavy flange on the snare sometimes weakens the accent, so maybe it would be better to double it up with another clean snare?
-1:40, i love this little sweeping riff.. how do you do stuff like that ? :(

good stuff :p

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "xincbox"-nice bassline
-not too keen on the effect on the saw (reverb?) but i guess that's personal preference
-lovely break at 1:08 :)
-the heavy flange on the snare sometimes weakens the accent, so maybe it would be better to double it up with another clean snare?
-1:40, i love this little sweeping riff.. how do you do stuff like that ? :(

good stuff :p

Woah, nelly! Let's break it down a bit.

Quote-not too keen on the effect on the saw (reverb?) but i guess that's personal preference
That's an echo ( I assume you're talking about 1:47?) AKA A delay. In this case its called an echo because no effect is used, I'm just repeating the melody and lowering the volume. This isn't one of my favorites, but I still like it. Very Tiesto-esque.

Quote-the heavy flange on the snare sometimes weakens the accent, so maybe it would be better to double it up with another clean snare?
I don't have a flange on the snare. I have a phaser (slightly same sound, but it's played only when sound is played, unlike a flange which is always going) on the hihat channel. And I'll see what it sounds like doubled up.

Quote-1:40, i love this little sweeping riff.. how do you do stuff like that ? :(

Yay filters!  This one is created by using a filter and a z-macro. Unfortunately, I don't have time to explain it now, but I will in a while. Check back later

xincbox

ah, wasn't sure if it was snare or hats i was hearing.. and i get flanger and phaser mixed up all the time! and maybe it's just the general sound of the saw that doesn't work for me.. i'm not sure

but yay, z-macro = another thing i've ever tried/managed to get my head around.. can't wait to learn

SoundCrafter

Ok, a quick lesson in filters and z-macs.

1. First, run modplug.
2. Second, open a song you'd like to experiment with (Or make a new one, but you will need at least one instrument)
3. Go to the Patterns tab
4. Click on the button that says "Zxx" near the top of the patterns tab.
5. Next to "SF0" it should say set filter cutoff, at the bottom of the screen, where it says "Fixed Macros", select the drop down menu that should say "Custom" and set it to "Z80-Z8F Sets resonance" or "Z80-ZFF Sets resonance"
6. Now before you want to do the 'sweep', in the effects column of the channel you're sweeping type Z8F or ZFF depending on what mode you picked in step 5.
7. Then, to do the sweep, start with Z00 in the effects column, and Z7F at the end of the sweep. Interpolate the effect.
8. If you need any help because I'm a bad teacher, PM me or post it here.

LPChip

You can also automate it in the instrument tab by creating an envelope for it. If you learn how to use it, You can basically get to the same thing as the simple Z00-Z7F and Z80-ZFF.

I believe you can find information on this in the OpenMPT manual.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

LP did you get a chance to listen to the song yet?

LPChip

Not yet. I should have a bit of time this weekend.

LPChip

I have found a bit time before going to eat to do a quick review.

First of.. Yeah, indeed off key!!! Ugh. :P :)

I'm not fund of that dance kick. Reminds me too much of trance.

In fact, I think this song would qualify more under trance than chiptune for that matter.

The beat is a very basic 4/4. I understand you've tried to do nice stuff with the hihats and stuff, but the bassdrum just pumps out of it. Also you could do more with this basedrum.

The melody could use some work too. Try to use silences between the notes to give it more space. It is now like a fire cannon that can't stop, and since that one note is nice, it just plays that note the entire time.

It has a few nice pieces, but overall, it has the same feeling which doesn't keep the fun in the song. After one listen, I'd not put it in repeat, if you know what I mean.

Ah dinner is ready, and I have basically said what I wanted to say. :)