OMPT - Lyrics - mp3

Started by Kosztya, August 17, 2006, 15:21:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Kosztya

There is another question, which is connected to Open ModPlugTracker:
When I edited modules with Pro-Tracker of AMIGA-500 computer I generally wrote lyrics to the musics. Then I sang
it to a tape recorder casette (helping of a mixer). It was a very primitive way, but wasn't better.

Now there must be a better techology, I think.
The Question: Is there so "module" (software, plugin, and so on...) which help to sing my lyrics?

My sound card enables to record OMPT music and human voice of microphone at the same time, so in this respect the question is
almost answered, but there are some very important application, no perfect voice (sound) without them:
I think of:
- dynamics compressor (I hope to translate correctly!) - which guarantees the equal dolby level of human voice.
- sound effect - which gives effects to the human voice (echo, and so on...)

Do you know such plugin, or software? I hope that you write: "It's a very simple problem my friend..."

LPChip

What you need in order to archieve any of this, is to sing your lyrics using an external audio editor. Audacity, which is open source could be used to accomplish this.

You should be able to only record your mike, while you play in OMPT.

When you think you have a nice set of sounds, you can do two things. Either apply the effects like eq, echo, reverb, etc, on the singing and save, or save the raw version, and apply the effects in OMPT.

Plus of applying in MPT is this: you can always change the sound when you want during the editing so it can fit your song.

Con of applying in MPT is this: You'll need to play the song in OMPT until you render it to wav/mp3, and you can't really distribute the source file like that, due to the used plugins.

Once you made your choise, you either apply effects in Audacity or not. The next step is to save your recording as wave file, and load them into MPT as a sample. Voila, you can now use your new sample in MPT.

In order to apply sounds in OMPT, refer to: how to use VST's in the manual.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

I would be probably be more likely to mix in Audacity than load the sample back into MPT.

LPChip

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"I would be probably be more likely to mix in Audacity than load the sample back into MPT.

Good point. You can also finish your song without the singing, and when you have your song exported to wav, combine the singing with the song in Audacity.

Downside of this is that you can't hear the result of the song while working on it, unless you first load the singed sample into OMPT, track the song, remove/mute the singing, export to wav to mix the singing back in.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

From an OMPT view, it should the most flexible to have the sung lyrics as a seperate sample in a seperate pattern-channel. Parallel to the instrumental group of channels of the song. A synchronous start of both parts is crucial here.
It could be done with Audacity by the recording of OMPT, doing the instrumentals, and the mike with the lyrics, in different tracks.
Recording a playing OMPT demands pressing first the record-button of Audacity, before you start OMPT. This results in a piece of silence added at the start of the recording. So the lyics-track has to be trimmed, to function correctly later, as a sample for OMPT.
So the recorded track of the OMPT instrumentals is just used as a visual time-mark, to be able to crop the lyrics to the right sample. Not used for further mixing.
The advantage of the lyrics being a sample, is, that one can play with the material in an extra channel. Repeating fragments of tekst by jumping inside the sample. Enhance a refrain. Changing the panorama.

2 Kosztya
- This is a matter of a series of procedures so the chosen order is important to fit your needs.
- A dynamics compressor has nothing to do with any Dolby bla. It was an electronic device already long before Dolby exists. If applied, it should be done in a very early stage, during or directly after the mike-recording.
- Effects. Could be applied in any stage of the process of course. To the total or to single elements.

Efficiency. If a channel has added the same reverb effect to an instrument throughout the song consistently, why not save that channel as a wav and use it as the new instrument for that channel ? It will sound the same.

Kosztya

Sam, LPChip:
I have red your replies (but sometime I have to use dictionary  :oops: )

If I understand correctly: I have to record my song (without music) into a wave file, then I have to load it into OMPT as a sample (into a separated channel).

To tell the truth I thought of it, but I was afraid, that this project would lose from the quality of the voice.
When I used only "samples" to write music, I did it the same way with the guitar sounds: One of my friend came here with his guitar and its effects, and we recorded a lot of effected guitar sound.
- Every sound was recorded to more octave (C-4, C-5, C-6...and so on), I want to say: New octave required a new sample from the same one.
But unfortunately this project brought no good quality. Not very wrong, but it could be better.

But the case of the voice of the microphone:
If I loaded it as a a sample, I would write only one soundfont, and it follows the song to the end.
I don't have to use other fonts (C#5, B-5 ...and soon) so in this respet the quality of the sound cannot be wronger.
I don't know, I will examine this possiblity!

(I hope that my reply is understandable   :wink: )

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Kosztya"If I understand correctly: I have to record my song (without music) into a wave file, then I have to load it into OMPT as a sample (into a separated channel).
You don't have to, I would save the music part into a wave file and then add the song in Audacity. This is because I find that way much easier, unless the sung parts are very short. (I've done both)

Kosztya

Oh Yes!
Now I understand it correctly!

I have downloaded Audacity. I will examine this possiblity.

Thanks!