Volume and Effects -- Hexadecimal? -- Max values?

Started by mrvegas, March 15, 2007, 14:06:17

Previous topic - Next topic

mrvegas

I am not an old school tracker, so I apologize again for these questions.  I looked in the wiki, but didn't find anything directly these issues.

1.  Is the volume column hexadecimal or not?  Is the max value 64?  (or 40 in hex?).

2.  What about the effects columns?  Is the max volume still 64 (or 40 hex) -- for, as an example, an Mxy command?

3.  Is the same true for panning, or do the limits here go to 256 (FF)?

4.  If I want to set the volume for a channel for a series of notes (rather than enter it each time I enter a note), is the only way to do this to use the Mxy effect?

I hope I have at least made the questions clear.  The only other tracker I have used much is Psycle, so I don't come from a long time Fast Tracker\Impulse Tracker background like some of you folks on the forum.

Thanks again for your help.  If anyone has time, they might want to address these issues in the wiki so it's clear for beginners.  If I missed a guide that has been previously posted, I'm sorry.

Saga Musix

it is indeed a bit confusing.

the VOLUME colum is decimal, from 0 to 64. that also counts for PANNING (pxx) effects in the same column:

C-5 11 v64 ...
C-5 11 p64 ...

The Effect Column is ALWAYS in hexadecmial.
Panning (Pxx) range is 0...FF (255), Channel Volume (Mxx) is 0...40 (64) and Global Volume is 0...80 (128). Strange, isn't it? :x
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

mrvegas

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

By the way, JoJo, I just listened to a few of your songs.  They are fantastic!  Nice work.  It must have taken a long time to get those samples in shape and work in the effects.

Saga Musix

no problem ;)

and thank you for the feedback, yes it took a long time to do most of the tracks... btw, it would be nice if you leave a comment on some of the tunes at the website, i totally reprogrammed and redesigned it, there is a comment function at the bottom of every track, so it would be very nice if you leave a sentence or two there ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

I agree with Jojo about the confusing aspects of the numerical systems. Which doesn't show much of a logic in it.
From the beginning I would have liked a common choice for decimal or hex, with all values involved.
I personally prefer hex, because FF takes 2 characters and 255 three.
And I'm pretty sure there is a Wiki about hexadecimal, for those who want to know.

rncekel

The confussion is even a little bigger. In the Sample tab, volume and pan are in decimal, with range 0-64. In the Instrument tab, they are in decimal, volume with range 0-64, and pan with range 0-256. This also applies to the General tab for each channel.
By the way, I think these ranges are really strange, because they are 2^n+1, not 2^n (for example, 0-64 means 65 values). But I remember that I have made the question long ago, and somebody told me (I think it was Rewbs) that it is so.

Saga Musix

that's also strange for me, beacuse for 65 values you need one bit more than for storing 64 values, and this is really strange. a precision of 256 values would be suitable for every effect, coz this means also a greater range for effects.

mrvegas

OK -- here's another one.  I was playing with midi macros really for the first time the other day.  I like the ability to change the cutoff and resonance from the effect column.

Anyway, it appears that the max values here are 7F (128 -- or 127?).

LPChip

Quote from: "mrvegas"it appears that the max values here are 7F (128 -- or 127?).

it are 128 values, namelly from 0 to 7F (0 to 127)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs