How many channels do you usually in your tracks?

Started by Poser, July 31, 2006, 15:57:21

Previous topic - Next topic

less than 8 channels
1 (5.9%)
8 - 16
8 (47.1%)
16-24
3 (17.6%)
24-32
3 (17.6%)
more than 32 channels
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: July 31, 2006, 15:57:21

Poser

Snu

8-16 is about 2/3 of them, 17-24 is about 1/3

Relabsoluness

LPChip

I make lots of songs with channels around 6 to 8, but then again, I also make lots of songs with 8 to 16. And some are 16+. Therefor on average seen, I guess I get around 9 to 10 channels average.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

While trying to use as least channels as possible, I so far never used any more than 14 channels, I recall.
Sometimes channels have empty spaces during the song which can be filled with instrument-data.

anboi

a quick opening of several tracks i did recently says 42, 25, 32, 45 so i guess in general its over 32. i do often leave a few blank channels lying about but not more than 5-6.
i think my practice of putting most major drums on their own channel has something to do with this - i'll put bass, snare, high-hats, claps etc all on their  own channel and frequently i use 2 or more kits so when i have bongos or whatever too then it all mounts up.  the drums eat at least 16 channels in nearly every tune i do. i also tend to have two or more instruments playing the same tune at the same time which doubles the channels i use for that.

xaimus

most are used to "automate" vst parameters

Dictator

mikosoft

Nowadays I mostly track only when I do one hour compos and 16 channels suffice on that.
Believe in Him and be free.

KrazyKatz

I dont use too many channels... generally no more than 16.

But I use lots of instruments! And Big ones.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Atlantis

My record was 288. :shock:

Yeah, yeah, I was (or is it still?) hopeless. :|
Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

http://www.facebook.com/atlanteanrecords

DavidN

288?! What went into those?

I typically use:

2-3 for 'voice'
2 for bass and rhythm guitar
5 for drums
2 for guitars
3 for chords

...then stick on additional instruments depending on the song - a further 3 for piano, one for broken chords, possibly a violin sample. So it's sixteen or just over.

Atlantis

Quote from: "Wong"288?! What went into those?
Far too much.

I was extremely detailed with chords, I used typically 10 channels for orchestral strings. A piano melody might've used 3 channels to keep the natural decay of each note, but for some reason I saw the need to place delays into their own channels rather than using a VST effect, meaning a set of classical guitars used 30 channels. Of course, all this meant I had to use 7 separate modules (this was at a time when I think you could only load 20 VST effects per song), including 9 harp channels, 15 drum channels, of which 1 was a backup, and another 14 backups to keep the original tracks without any drum hits taken out that would've required more than two hands to play, not to mention 40 channels of warmpad (this was my stupid attempt to increase the volume), 18 FX channels, hmm, and another 48 warmpad channels, probably because they required different effect settings. Did I mention I was hopeless? :|

By the way, I say "was" because I haven't composed in over two years. Go figure. ::)
Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

http://www.facebook.com/atlanteanrecords

Joshiii-Kun

Wow, Atlantis. That's incredible XD

I normally don't use more than 10 channels. Only with orchestral pieces I use a higher amount of channels, I never release those tracks though, because they sound horrible :D And they're unfinished too.