[pianopsychosomewhat] psyche (it)

Started by cubaxd, July 25, 2006, 20:06:46

Previous topic - Next topic

cubaxd

hi all :--)

this mod uses samples from the midi library in windows and i'm not sure if i may do that :--) however, i thought, maybe it's worth posting it here.
and like so often i'm not really sure about the genre ;>)

filename: http://axd.10e.net/mods/psyche.it.zip
size: 182k
length: 3:05

Sam_Zen

Personally I don't fancy the sound of a piano, but that is not quite important, because the score is very nice.

I noticed your doubt about using MS-material for your song. The solution for this is simple : Make your own samples.
This could still mean that you use this midi library as a sound-source, but you have to manipulate it, to make it your own. This modification doesn't have to mean, that the sound of the song will change.
Loading the song, save every sample as a wav-file, and import them back again in their role is the least. Byte-values will have been changed of the material. Normalization of a sample is also enough to call the file 'not the original'.
Converting to a certain sample-resolution could be another one.
See this extra effort as your 'personal touch' on the current samples, instead of directly using 'external' material.
Right now, the 'resolution' of the piano is 10 different ranges of tones, covering the whole instrument. If you convert these items of the midi-library first to a collection of wav-files, you will have the advantage of being able to increase the 'resolution' of the piano in, for example, 16 different ranges of tones, creating new wavs out of the existing samples.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "cubaxd"however, i thought, maybe it's worth posting it here.
Good decision :)   Very nice tune, and great that it is as a module file.

cubaxd

thanks for your answers

@Sam_Zen

thanks for your suggestions. in the next days i will busy myself with sample manipulation. i found out that, if i mix two snares together, i will get a completely new snare. but i assume this method isn't really something new. :>)

@Relabsoluness

how many people are using audio compression to increase the filesize? ;>)

Sam_Zen

Quotei will busy myself with sample manipulation. i found out that, if i mix two snares together, i will get a completely new snare. but i assume this method isn't really something new
If it's new or not doesn't matter. You found it out, that's what counts.

There are all kinds of tools and codes to manipulate a loaded sample. But making an optimised sample first, according to your own preferences, before presenting it as the file, the raw material, to setup the tracker-instrument.
It can save a lot of work in the tracking, and probably enhance the quality and the intentions of the song.

You even don't need a waveditor to mix two snares together. This can be done with MPT...
- New module. (Preferably with the channel-width as small as possible, because you won't need more. So 4.)
- Load 'snare1' and 'snare2'.
- Put 'snare1' in channel 1 and 'snare2' in channel 2 of the first pattern. (default on the same row)
- Goto 'Save as Wav' and save only the first pattern as a wav-file ('snare3').
Some tuning in this simple process is needed. The playback speed for example. If it's too slow it will create a samplefile with lots of trailing silence. The same is needed with some settings in the general tab and the playback settings of the tools, like equalizer and reverb. Because they all will be present as well in the final mix-file.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
Some tuning in this simple process is needed. The playback speed for example. If it's too slow it will create a samplefile with lots of trailing silence. The same is needed with some settings in the general tab and the playback settings of the tools, like equalizer and reverb. Because they all will be present as well in the final mix-file.

You can also leave the long silence. After you've rendered your new sample, go to the sample tab, load in the sample, and remove the remaining silence by using trim or cut, and resave the sample ;) Saves you alot of time, cus its hard to find the right speed setting. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

Interesting. I like that breaking, nervous rythm of the left hand. Generally, that music is not for listening, though. To me it sounds more like a picture, a scetch of a sort the aim of which is to directly imitate something, in this case - the intricate roads f the psyche...

cubaxd

well, i already used a similar method for some other mods.
i.e. http://axd.10e.net/mods/alpha_guitar.it.zip
which i posted a few weeks ago is using some loops,
that have been made kind of the way, you (Sam) described above

i took a mod with a guitar sample, made some melody and reversed the sample ...

http://axd.10e.net/mods/0_loopsample.it.zip

... then i converted the pattern to wav, loaded the sample, reversed it again,
and got a nice guitar loop (not perfect, but useful :>)

but the idea of mixing some similar samples to a new one was new to me

@Louigi Verona
QuoteTo me it sounds more like a picture, a scetch of a sort the aim of which is to directly imitate something, in this case - the intricate roads f the psyche...
i couldn't describe it better, thus i absolutely agree with your point of view.

PS: has someone a clue how to display a text instead of the url?

Sam_Zen

This string in a post will do the job for 'urlx' with description 'url-name' :
[url=urlx]url-name[/url]
Example : loopsample_0