Soundfont troubles :(

Started by Joshiii-Kun, July 19, 2006, 21:30:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshiii-Kun

Hello there people.
I'm having trouble with soundfonts in Modplug. I've come across the SGM180 GM soundfont, which should sound magnificent. I've downloaded some demonstration MP3's and it sounded so awesome, I just had to download it. It took a while, and then I loaded it in Modplug and I noticed a lot of samples weren't looped properly...

I have this with the majority of all the soundfonts I've downloaded. Sometimes a sample isn't looped at all, or the whole sample is looped, stuff like that. Of course, I can change the looping on all the samples, but that is quite a hassle...
I've heard so many good reviews of that soundfont, and I doubt that those reviews would be there if the looping was all messed up.

I'm just adding a soundbank and I import the instruments I need. Is this the correct way of using soundfonts in Modplug? How can I use this soundfont effectively?

LPChip

Soundfont support in MODPlug Tracker isn't that good.

The support for Soundfonts is based on the earlier formats. The Soundfont fileformat is now capable of having multi-layered samples and other features that are not supported nativelly by MODPlug Tracker. Its on the to-do list to get it working.

Untill then, I'd suggest to use a VSTi to play the soundfonts for you. People have suggested sfz to play soundfont files.

http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfzfaq.htm
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Joshiii-Kun

Ha! That works perfectly!
Yay, thanks :D

Though, there's one more thing, you see, when I use VST instruments, like sfz, you can't really change the panning or the volume through the pattern editor. I've heard you can do this with macros, but what if the instrument doesn't have a panning feature? It looks like sfz doesn't have a panning feature...
So, I'm kind of looking for a mixer VST (you know, one that looks like a mixer board), so I can link the instrument to that VST. Is there such a thing?

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Joshiii-Kun"Though, there's one more thing, you see, when I use VST instruments, like sfz, you can't really change the panning or the volume through the pattern editor. I've heard you can do this with macros, but what if the instrument doesn't have a panning feature? It looks like sfz doesn't have a panning feature...
From sfz's FAQ:

sfz responds to all MIDI controls defined in the General MIDI specification:

Note On/Off
Pitch Bend (default to ?2 semitones)
Modulation Wheel (CC1)
Volume (CC7)
Pan (CC10)
Expression (CC11)
Reverb Size (CC12)
Chorus Speed (CC13)
Sustain (CC64)
Cutoff (CC74)
Reverb Level (CC91)
Chorus Level (CC93)
Attack (CC73)
Hold (CC76)
Decay (CC75)
Sustain (CC70)
Release (CC72)
All Notes Off
All Controllers Off

sfz will respond to the above messages in each MIDI channel.

Joshiii-Kun

Ooh, thanks.
So how do I put this into a macro? Hehehehe :oops:
I've clicked on that Zxx button in the Pattern editor. Let's say I'd select macro SF1. Would I have to, for example, set a custom macro with the value CC10 for panning?

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Joshiii-Kun"Would I have to, for example, set a custom macro with the value CC10 for panning?
Yes!

I made a little macro tutorial, especially for you.

Joshiii-Kun

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "Joshiii-Kun"Would I have to, for example, set a custom macro with the value CC10 for panning?
Yes!

I made a little macro tutorial, especially for you.

Oh, thanks! That's pretty awesome. I also discovered I had an old version thanks to your tutorial :P
Thanks man, works like a charm!

LPChip

Nice Speed-Focus :)

And glad we could help :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Thank you LPChip. If anyone else wants to make tutorials like that, the software I used is freeware and called Wink. Besided from rendering to flash, it can also render to pdf and html.

Kosztya

Hy!
I'm Kosztya again (I've arrived from another topic).
I have red your instructions how I can controll the parameter of my plugins, and I think, that I understand it, and its rules.
I can control the master volume (and other parameters).

But there is another problem:
I can't controll the panning of the plugin (Slayer2)!

I have seen your visual helping (very good  :) ) but there is a problem in here:
- When I want to chose the "macro type" I have no "MIDI CC" between the possiblities.
The possiblities are:
- Unused
- Set Filter Cutoff
- Set Filter Resonance
- Plugin Dry/Wet Ratio
- Controll Plugin Parameter
- Custom

Where is the MIDI CC...?
And now I think that this option would be the perfect option for me (MIDI CC).
I have been working under the "Controll Plugin Parameter" for your last help, but it switches over all parameter of my plugins, which is no good
For example:
- I give a "master volume" command: C-4 01 -- Z20
The master volume of the plugin is changed, and the next voices will be lower. If I want again the old full master volume I have to write the "Z7F" parameter.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Kosztya"Where is the MIDI CC...?
And now I think that this option would be the perfect option for me (MIDI CC).
You need to get a newer verion of MPT!

Quote from: "Kosztya"I have been working under the "Controll Plugin Parameter" for your last help, but it switches over all parameter of my plugins, which is no good
For example:
- I give a "master volume" command: C-4 01 -- Z20
The master volume of the plugin is changed, and the next voices will be lower. If I want again the old full master volume I have to write the "Z7F" parameter.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here... But yes, if you set "master volume" then it'll change the volume of the plugin. You can contol the velocity of a note with the normal volume commands: C-4 01 v32 ---. This however works differently with different plugins, on Slayer 2 it seems to control how much you dampen the strings with your palm.

Kosztya

My number of my OMPT version: "Open Modplug Tracker version 1.17.02.28 (1.17RC2)"

I visited your link and downloaded a newer OMPT, but it is the same which is used by me. (And the problem is the same: There is no "MIDI CC" in the Zxx macros, I saw it).
But there is another thing:

I have red the pages, which open from your link (click on the "release notes")
There is a chapter, where you can find a picture, which shows the scrolled menu bar of the "Modify macro: Type:"
(its title: "Added macro to control dry/wet ratio")

You can see:
- Unused
- Set Filter Cutoff
- Set Filter Resonance
- Set Filter mode
- Plugin Dry/Wet Ratio
- Controll Plugin Param...
- Custom

But "MIDI CC" cannot be found among them.
http://soal.org/expMPT/1.17RC2/OMPT_1.17RC2_ReleaseNotes.html

It is the newest wersion of the OMPT, and there is no an important application?
Why?
And without it I cannot controll the panning parameter of the plugins?
It would be a very important application for a tracker, I think...

LPChip

RC2 isn't the newest version.

RC2 is beta build .28 made officially, but we're currently at beta build .43

See the difference? :)

Note that on the beta build page, the top most link is RC2, not the beta. Please make sure you downloaded .43.

Kosztya

Do you know to paste a perfect link here?
(Excuse me please but I am not a big master of the internet. I have downloaded a lot of MPT and OMPT but I haven't found better version, or only I have found a lot of wrong site.)
A link, which I can download the OMPT directly from.

Thank You