[Irish Raga] Half Leg Half Jet (XM)

Started by Sam_Zen, July 16, 2006, 04:12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

17 lo-fi samples, 10 channels, 56 rows per pattern, 3:44.
Half Leg Half Jet
I continue to offer archeological files in basic format ;)

apple-joe

... And I continue downloading. Comments will follow. I like that you said it's 56 rows each pattern. Different rhythm, looking forward to that one.

apple-joe

Listening right now. What to say? You've got to be on the TOP 3 of  my list of most unorthodox music artists. There is a certain strangeness about many of your tracks, like this one, but I'm afraid I worship it - because of the creativity; it's a breathe of fresh air compared to many other compositions. Not neccessarily 'pleasing' to the ear all the time of course, but you got to live with that if you're gonna accept all types of creativity.

Sam_Zen

You're too kind. Your last sentence is a very sensitive one, and proves an open mind.
Limitation on one's own creativity, is the price one pays, if one decides to please the audience all the time. I don't look down on such a decision, it's a free choice.

I've contemplated about the 'strangeness' you meantioned.
I suppose it's in the way the process of my composing takes place.
I never started with pre-writing down some chord-scheme or melody according to some chosen tonal scale, and then choosing the instruments and bend them according to the score. I pick some samples, single or for looping purposes, and let their sounds suggest the style and nature of the piece to come.

rncekel

Nice piece. But I wouldn't consider it as Celtic; it reminds me of when I was 16 and did yoga hearing Ravi Shankar and Pink Floyd. The rhythm is very good, and would fit perfectly well in a raga.

XAVT

This is not bad :) 7 eights ey? Although the volume is intirely incoherent and the track lacks structures it still somewhat appeals to me. And not that anyone really cares but that aint no celtic ;)

If it had more structure and a better production it could have been a great track!
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "rncekel"But I wouldn't consider it as Celtic; it reminds me of when I was 16 and did yoga hearing Ravi Shankar and Pink Floyd. The rhythm is very good, and would fit perfectly well in a raga.
Excellent observation. There are celtic sound and there are indian sounds. (So I changed the title-tag.)
And the structures of the patterns were indeed based on raga-principles ...

Quote from: "XAVT"If it had more structure and a better production
As mentioned, this is a compressed module containing only all unique patterns in some order, so the original structure of the piece has to loose some essentials of course.
I have OMPT as my tool to make the composition. I use other tools to make a production of that composition.
And I don't think in 'eights'. I think in steps, harmonics of numbers, cycles and clockspeed.

XAVT

Doesnt matter what you think like, its still 7/8 [as can be derrived from the fact you have 56 rows]. I think its called timestamps in English and you cant renounce that, itll be better if you understand and accept it, not only feel it. Trust me it will be usefull ;)
Also, raggae is buit on 3/4 [if I`m not mistaken], which makes it not so reggae.

And whats the point of releasing "only original patterns" anyway? The structure of the track is no less important then its melody or soundproduction. And no, I don`t consider doubeling patterns as structure.

Not to mention the rather odd feeling I get about you constantly "renewing" your older tracks... whats with that? I never met an artist who was so preoccupied with his old works. As a matter of fact the vast majority of them doesnt even want to hear about them, nor do they remember them much.

Sam_Zen

Quotetimestamps in English and you cant renounce that, itll be better if you understand and accept it
After understanding the concept I decided to reject it, because it was not sufficient to cover the electronic reality.
Quoteraggae is buit on 3/4 [if I`m not mistaken], which makes it not so reggae
You're not mistaken with 3/4 of reggae, but that's jamaican, where talking about indian raga here.

((You sound a bit irritated, but I realise, I'm in a much more peaceful environment at the moment as you are.))
QuoteAnd whats the point of releasing "only original patterns" anyway?
- I release the basic data of the composition, without giving away my own interpretation of this material.
- All the material is there, so someone else could make version with it, as a 'performance' of the composition.
- So I give free permission to perform my piece with the necessary data, besides my own performance of the piece.
Quotethe rather odd feeling I get about you constantly "renewing" your older tracks... whats with that?
You noticed right.
It's part of the work. Some things are ready in one session, other things take years, like the growing of a pearl.
Sometimes the making of something is done with 95 % preparation and then 5 % actual making. Sometimes the order is the other way around, first 5 % actual making, then 95 % finetuning.
Preoccupation maybe. But as long as I can still can learn from them, they have my attention.

XAVT

Heh.. I live in Netanya, which is 60 kilometers from
Haifa, the Hizballas maximum range of fire, so we don`t have rockets falling here. I may be a bit pissed off because you did prove to have a certain talent for music and you waste it, or so it seems to me, on pitty nonsense. No offense ment ;)

It also makes no sense. That is no normal behaviour of a man, let alone an artist. I`m very fond of studying human behaviour and I have observed your type of behaviour only in some unfortunate cases, rippers. I don`t blame you of ripping, don`t get me wrong, I have no proof of that, but if it`s not that then there is no way to explain why you do what you do and that puzzles me.

Truelly puzzled.XAVT.

Sam_Zen

I realized the risk in my sub-remark about the bombing when placing it, so I'm grateful you respond in the right way.
QuoteI may be a bit pissed off because you did prove to have a certain talent for music and you waste it, or so it seems to me, on pitty nonsense.
Also pitty nonsense is part of life, and can be described in a composition. Of course I'm wasting my talents during my life, who doesn't afterwards?

QuoteThat is no normal behaviour of a man, let alone an artist. I... I have observed your type of behaviour only in some unfortunate cases, rippers. I don`t blame you of ripping, don`t get me wrong, I have no proof of that
So now I'm puzzled too. Ripping ? If I ripped something from an existing, copyrighted track on a cd, lp or mc, I always mention the source in the composition. I never used a plain copy as such in a module as a sample. There's always work in modulation of it. It could lead to a quite different file.
This I call 'sound-material'. It can come from different sources. Stockhausen is allowed, without any copyright problems to use some recording of a japanese broadcast in a 'serious modern composition', so why not the sampling of some sound, from the tv, or a cassette-player ?

If you want more about my views on this issue, take a look at my MUX pages.