Loading in WAV files, how do you know what root note they go to?

Started by Magnar, October 20, 2024, 23:23:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnar

Hi,
By loading in a WAV, say it is a just a 48000hz 24bit WAV file. How do you control which root note it is assigned?

Say I would like it to be placed to PT2.3D F-3 note? No finetune etc.

If you load too long samples, are they automatically assigned to another key?

/Magnar

Saga Musix

Generally in all formats but MOD, middle-C (C-5) will play the sample at the original sample rate (so 48000Hz in your example). With MOD that's not possible of course - middle-C will always be around 8287Hz (+/- finetune), and you won't be able to reach the original root note of the sample as it's way out of the Amiga frequency range.

My recommendation for preparing Amiga samples would be to have a separate module open in IT or MPTM format, load the sample there and use the built-in resampler to change the sample rate to a known compatible sample rate (e.g. 22168Hz for F-6 which is F-3 in ProTracker) and then copy the resampled sample over to the MOD file.
If you want to resample to note other than F-6, you can play a sample in the MOD file and look at the status bar in the sample editor: It will show you the effective sample rate of that note. Then you take that value and use it as the target frequency for the resampler.

QuoteIf you load too long samples, are they automatically assigned to another key?
I'm not sure what you mean with this one. If the sample length exceeds the maximum supported by the MOD format, it will get truncated upon saving, so if you want to use the entire sample, you will have to manually slice it, unfortunately.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Magnar

Hi Saga Musix,

Long time and great to see you are still so active!

I was hoping there was some sort of easier conversion-option for the musician on beginners level to create Amiga Modules, that are not that familiar with calculating or figure out frequencies and convert the samples manually the way you described.

I do understand this is a feature not currently available, but would it be possible in future development to maybe automate this process? In such a way that the musician only have to load a WAV file and type in a root note of PT2.3D C-3 and it converts per default to it?

Reason is that I am trying to teach how to make Amiga modules out to new people, and the process of handling samples they exports from their DAWs are very hard entry-curve for many of them to convert and make it work in a PT module format.

It would greatly increase the interest of making Amiga Modules for the musicians I am currently working with. :)

Cheers Magnar

Saga Musix

There's always rooms for improvement, though in this particular case I have difficulties finding any obvious and easy things that could be implemented right away... Whenever OpenMPT loads a sample or instrument, its properties are immediately converted to the target module format, so the information about the original sample rate is not available anymore after the sample has been loaded into a MOD file for instance. In general this is necessary because we don't want to give the impression that some feature is available and then after saving a file it's suddenly gone. But I'm always open for direct suggestions and see what can be done.

One thing that may be helpful is that sample rate conversion can be done in a batch by shift-clicking the resampling icon. That way the resampling is applied to all loaded samples and doesn't have to be done one by one.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.