how to do irregular time signatures

Started by rqkaiju2, October 13, 2024, 23:19:51

Previous topic - Next topic

rqkaiju2

hey. i wanted to make a song in 5/4 to try out some new things. apparently openmpt only allows regular time sigs. which means i cant do irregular songs or anything like that. is there any way to make irregular time songs?
rem/Alan/kiranger - they/it
aliases: drumcritter - breakcore; amygdala: melodic speedcore/idm; srgt. speed: speedcore
feel free to ask me any questions. thanks for stopping by. :3

Alice (Midori)

First of all, you can write in any time signature regardless of the visual settings of the grid. I'm assuming you want a clear visual cue in the form of pattern reflecting the time signature though, which is also perfectly possible. I'm assuming you want one measure to consist of 5 beats, each lasting a quarter note.

Lets assume a quarter note will take 8 rows in your module for now. All you have to do is set the "rows per beat" to 8 and "rows per measure" to 40 (8 rows per beat x 5 beats per measure). Last thing you might want to do is to adjust the pattern length to a multiple of 40 for desired amount of measures contained within one pattern.

If you're using the modern MPTM module format you can adjust all these settings separately for each individual pattern, thus achieving mixed time-signature songs. Hope this helps.
Tracker and synth music enjoyer
An internet potato