Chillosophy 3 by Brainstorm

Started by brandflake11, July 26, 2024, 00:54:40

Previous topic - Next topic

brandflake11

Hey everyone,

Have you all ever listened to this awesome album by Xerxes?: https://m.pouet.net/prod.php?which=47547 It includes a bunch of great ambient electronic tunes that have that nice dark Xerxes sound. I really like it and have been listening to it for the past month or so. I need to listen to Chillosophy 2 and 1 too, but I keep being drawn back to 3.

Also, I don't run the .exe that is included, so I have no idea how safe that file is. I just extract the music folder in the archive to reveal the .it files.

It also taught me that there are .it modules made with openmpt that can use a different mixing scheme than the older compatible mixing setup that impulse tracker used. I didn't even know that was a thing until I heard that it played differently in schism tracker than in audacious (which has an openmpt core to playback modules). Pretty interesting.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy. :)

Saga Musix

Some of xerxes' finest modules, indeed. Quite a few of them were the result of #mod_shrine One Hour Compos, if I recall correctly (I'm pretty sure I hosted the compo for "xerxes-24-lovely.it" as I recognize the sample pack as one of those that I made :) ). The exe is completely safe to run.

QuoteIt also taught me that there are .it modules made with openmpt that can use a different mixing scheme than the older compatible mixing setup that impulse tracker used. I didn't even know that was a thing until I heard that it played differently in schism tracker than in audacious (which has an openmpt core to playback modules). Pretty interesting.
The different mix mode being used (MPT 1.16) should only affect volume levels; notoriously ModPlug Tracker had a user-configurable pre-amp setting that was not stored in modules, so depending on the user's setup, modules had a different volume depending on which computer they were played on. The "compatible" mix mode fixes this by fixing the pre-amp at the same value as Schism Tracker, which also happens to be louder that ModPlug's old default.

Apart from the mix mode, those files were of course made with ModPlug Tracker 1.16 and may exploit a few ModPlug bugs here and there, of which OpenMPT will emulate many (as it can correctly determine that the files were saved with MPT 1.16), but other software not based on libopenmpt will typically not handle those bugs. XMPlay / BASS can handle a handful of the most obvious playback bugs found in MPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.