Main Menu

FlexASIO

Started by Exhale, April 01, 2024, 00:16:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Exhale

what are ppls thoughts about flexasio?

I got it recently and the gui too... and I am finding it pretty useful - I also got the wasapi version but that one doesnt have as flexible settings and hasnt helped me as much.

For context I was having trouble just playing an old tune which I am trying to be able to edit again, I got all the vsts set up, and loaded it up... didnt work well in 64 bit at all, fine I said, it is plugin bridging it, so I installed a portable 32bit and installed all the vsts... was still getting skipping and pops all over the place, kept playing with the settings in the soundcard setup thing - took them to the extreme, past the options given by the software 500ms latency etc... still got some skips and troubles... but then I went searching for asio4all to try install it and see if that helped... it didnt. I felt stumped, then I tried "alternative to asio4all" on a ddg search and was presented with flexASIO, and just on the stock settings the bastard played through the tune the best I had heard it come out of ompt. I am stumped, what exactly is it doing that helped so much?

for further context, this is on windows 10... the damn tune still crashes modplug often, and my journey with it is still far from over, but it felt like magic...
I am wondering about everyone elses thoughts on this software.

Saga Musix

FlexASIO appears to be built on top of PortAudio, which is literally the same audio backend that OpenMPT uses for most of its audio device handling, so it's a bit surprising that you find it to be working better. It does appear to use DirectSound by default, which OpenMPT does not enable, but I cannot quite imagine how DirectSound would perform better on your system (assuming similar settings) than the MME or WASAPI options in OpenMPT. Extreme latency settings are rarely a solution to anything. What's more important is playing around with the Period setting - does increasing that help with MME or WASAPI?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

Quote from: Saga Musix on April 02, 2024, 14:10:14What's more important is playing around with the Period setting - does increasing that help with MME or WASAPI?

I will give it a try, i increased the latency to 500 and the period to 200 i think which was still giving some popping and clicking.
I want to add, i dont think it is modplug to blame. The vsts i chose fo this particular tune seem to be on the verge of crashing ompt at the drop of the hat. As i said it is an old tune i was trying to bring back from the grave and obviously at that time they either worked better or i liked living on the edge or something has happened tha makes them run worse on modern hardware or soemthing.

It only worked in 32 bit ompt without jumping but that was with flexasio on 100 latency which was the standard configuration. It blew my mind.

I fully didnt expect anything to make the track play properly. So kablooey mind i guess.

manx

Quote from: Exhale on April 02, 2024, 14:20:00
Quote from: Saga Musix on April 02, 2024, 14:10:14What's more important is playing around with the Period setting - does increasing that help with MME or WASAPI?
It only worked in 32 bit ompt without jumping but that was with flexasio on 100 latency which was the standard configuration. It blew my mind.

Can you maybe run FlexASIO with logging enabled (see https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO?tab=readme-ov-file#logging) and show that logfile for your working configuration? I would be somewhat interested in what set of parameters it is really using.