Main Menu

20 years

Started by Saga Musix, March 28, 2024, 19:07:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

I recently had a look at the hard drive contents of my old Windows 98 machine, and something caught my eyes - whenever you open (or perform a search in, I think?) an old-fashioned HLP file for the first time, the Help Viewer creates some sort of index file right next to it. In the folder of my original ModPlug Tracker installation, there was such a cache file - dated 28th of March, 2004. 20 years ago today! I knew that it was sometime in early 2004 when I found ModPlug Tracker (originally searching for Scream Tracker... good that the first Google result I clicked on wasn't a Scream Tracker download I guess :P), but now I know for sure it was in March 2004. It could have been a few days before the 28th but I think it's likely that I would have opened the help file on first use.

20 years of ModPlug tracking (and 15.5 years of OpenMPT development). I feel old now. :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

n0cturn

Quote from: Saga Musix on March 28, 2024, 19:07:3020 years of ModPlug tracking (and 15.5 years of OpenMPT development). I feel old now. :P

Not going to comment on how old you must be, but I find it amazing you have a computer frozen in time from 20 years ago! do you run a museum in your spare time? Time to treat yourself to a nice new computer maybe?

Exhale

Happy 20th for modplug use Saga! And hopefully you have another 20 happy and healthy years to appreciate the awesomeness of the project you have been a big part of now for so many years!

Saga Musix

Quote from: n0cturn on March 28, 2024, 19:19:31do you run a museum in your spare time?
My entire studio is one big museum of 80s/90s hardware. Old is not automatically worse.

Quote from: n0cturn on March 28, 2024, 19:19:31Time to treat yourself to a nice new computer maybe?
That wouldn't run the DOS classics. :P And no, emulation doesn't do them justice (at least some of them).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Mr.Eagle

I like the name of the archive ("Sinnlos 98.zip").
I was a long-time Amiga user until the end of 1999 and my first contact with Windows 98 back then was something of a culture shock.
"Nomen est omen" so to speak... ;D  ;D

BTW: "sinnlos" is the german word for "senseless/pointless".  ;)
sorry for my bad English

Saga Musix

It's the name I chose for the hard drive partition back then. ;)

Vojvodinosaurus

I believe i was using win98se until 2006 when i finally moved to xp, but my first ever contact with tracker music was around 2018
!IMPORTANT!
You are allowed to remix my songs ONLY in TRANCE/GOA/PSYTRANCE GENRE and NO Trap HiHat Rolls PLEASE
My stuff: https://alonetone.com/vojvodinosaurus