[pop/techno] bobojon (mptm)

Started by Exhale, March 26, 2024, 14:38:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Exhale

This one is an oddball kinda tune... I decided to just make something odd while experimenting with using external compressed samples for vocals.
I kinda wasnt going to release this because it isnt the kinda thing I usually make, but whatever, I did some hard work on getting those vocals to be a part of it and I can release it as an attachment now, so caution to the wind I guess... haha...
I hope you enjoy it.

You will need to decompress the files to the same directory and leave the vocal ogg there for this to work when you open the ompt file.

n0cturn

I don't know if I'm missing something, but why not have the sample embedded in the module? surely that's the easiest way, and of course you wont loose part of it when inevitable the files get separated and lost. Only advantage I can see is if you were making loads of modules using the same samples.

Exhale

Quote from: n0cturn on March 26, 2024, 17:30:12I don't know if I'm missing something, but why not have the sample embedded in the module? surely that's the easiest way, and of course you wont loose part of it when inevitable the files get separated and lost. Only advantage I can see is if you were making loads of modules using the same samples.
one word, compression.
At the quality of the ogg, if it were embedded into the mptm, the mptm would be over a meg big and unable to fit in the attachments on this webpage.
I sing, so I wanted a method to get some quality for singing samples, even if it means using compression, into files I post here - this is a game changer for me, and I will now hopefully be including singing for many of my tunes from now on on these forums.
Basically compression opens the possibility of me using my voice as a part of tracks and still posting them on the forums here - and gives me the capacity to use compression for higher overall quality of samples in general. Idk why compression seems to be treated like a dirty word for a lot of musicians, but in my book it is a great toy to play with. You can only get so far by reducing the bitrate of samples which is a destructive process anyways - and vocals in a tune needs loads of data...

Open the file and look in the mptm at the comments tab, you will see that the ogg uncompressed and inside ompt is over a meg. I tried taking it down to 8 bit and reducing the hz to 8000, and that also got it down to 500k for the sample, but... well it sounded like absolute shit. Compression is simply the only way to include singing that sounds at least somewhat reasonable in an attachment tune.

n0cturn

What size would it be if you zipped the module?

Exhale

Quote from: n0cturn on March 26, 2024, 17:58:19What size would it be if you zipped the module?
yeah believe me I have tried that many times in the past does nothing to help
1.6meg becomes 1.5 meg
I have become pretty obsessed with making my tunes take low disk space so I can fit them in the attachments here, so yeah zipping aint a magic bullet, but compression does seem to be the answer I have been looking for. Obviously it has kept singing out of anything I attach here, or singing at any length, but now with compression I can put singing in, and actually I think I could make tunes all around the singing- like this one is pretty simple, but has singing in it... the voice is one instrument I have been itching to add to low footprint tunes on these forums, and now I can. I even increased the quality of my sample (took a few steps back and got an earlier version of the singing that hadnt been quite as degraded by my methods in OMPT) because I had plenty of space to spare.

To be completely fair (since the other screenshot I showed was a previous version with even higher quality singing sample), I tried it with the exact file I sent here, made an embedded version, zipped that... and my second attachment here is the result. 30k was removed by zipping it... whoop di twang... not helpful... compression does magic - I get to have higher quality samples, and it is far less lossy than anything I can personally figure out to do inside OMPT

Vojvodinosaurus

Why don't you simply post entire song in mp3 or ogg format via google drive or alonetone?
!IMPORTANT!
You are allowed to remix my songs ONLY in TRANCE/GOA/PSYTRANCE GENRE and NO Trap HiHat Rolls PLEASE
My stuff: https://alonetone.com/vojvodinosaurus

Exhale

I like being frugal and challenging myself in this particular case to post in the attachments here. I consider it an achievement.
Also ~ ok this is a bit of a confession ~ I enjoy seeing the download count go up here. :P that has outed me. But yeah I am just about to post another tune on here that will be pure OGG. I pretty much want to reserve those posts to be because I used vsts on it.
This one doesnt use them...
The next one uses 4 vsts, and I might post the mptm file with a list of the vsts, but even then I would prefer to be able to post the code. Another benefit of the code is that people can learn from the tunes, if they want, the way I did when I first started tracking. I think there are a lot of benefits from posting the code for people to see and listen to.