any tips for reducing latency for my midi controller?

Started by Exhale, March 06, 2024, 18:46:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Exhale

I have takes some time to set up my roland e-x20 as a midi in device and frankly the time between hitting the key and hearing a sound from ompt is terrible... I can try play along with this and 'no instrument' while getting the sound out of the keyboard itself and then adjust on ompt for it but I am interested whether you guys have tips to reduce the latency so I dont have to make adjustments in ompt and the sound comes out the moment I hit the key... even when not recording and just playing the instrument in the tab I get a very noticeable latency, it feels like maybe even half a second...

EDIT - some info, I am trying this on windows 10, I havent tried on linux yet, because I am unsure if the midi messages will even be sent on the linux version on the aur - but I really really hope so since my windows has an issue of freezing every once in a while for no reason, in almost anything other than a game.... it has been a frustrating thing, but I am guessing it comes down to my laptop having something wrong with it even though linux is fine.

EDIT 2 - this isnt a trainsmash for me if I cant sort this latency out, as I said I can record with say the keyboard making sounds and "no instrument" and adjust it for something I will play in a tune or - and this is my main plan actually, simply use the sound coming out the keyboard and record the messages without an instrument applied for pure piano for example and take stuff from that and make a tune around it... it does limit the production pipeline having to use these hacks though so any help will be much appreciated.

herodotas

For low latency you need to use ASIO drivers, or WASAPI on windows in the worst case.
life is darker than it seems

Exhale

Quote from: herodotas on March 06, 2024, 19:03:36For low latency you need to use ASIO drivers, or WASAPI on windows in the worst case.
i was using wasapi... i think i have asio4all somewhere so i can try that, but yeah thanks i eill try that... maybe takeing the bitrate down will help or putting up stuff like the latency and period settings... i will try more in the morning... my latency is set to 3ms, period 10 and 44100 hz

Saga Musix

Please note that ASIO4All is normally not required for OpenMPT. ASIO4All is not a hardware ASIO driver, instead it emulates the ASIO interface through means provided by Windows, namely through WaveRT - which OpenMPT supports natively! If you don't have an audio interface with native ASIO drivers, using WaveRT with the lowest-possible latency setting is your best bet. Otherwise, investing into a small home recording audio interface with ASIO support will give you the thightest timing possible for MIDI in OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

Hmmm... I have ableton... if i install that then uninstall it will i have asio? Gonna try. I dont use the thing so it would just waste space if i leave it installed..
If this doesnt work i will def try wavert though, thanks for the tip

Ok abelton didnt give me tge asio driver but wavert reduced the latency, thanks

Saga Musix

I think you made this mistake in distinction before - an audio interface is not a piece of software, it is a piece of hardware. Installing Ableton (or any other software) won't give your existing onboard audio hardware superpowers magically. You'll need a USB or PCIe audio interface with native low-latency ASIO drivers. Common brands offering those include RME, ESI, M-Audio, MOTU, Presonus, etc... - If you don't want to invest into an audio interface, using WaveRT is going to give you the best latency at the expense of not being able to hear other applications at the same time.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

Thank you very much for the clarification, I am sure that is not the only place I have made the same mistake on these forums. It is good to learn new things and I very much appreciate being walked through a new concept like this since I am a slow learner. I will mark this as resolved and I thank you again for your tip of using WaveRT, the latency is still something I can feel, thus I am still using the sound from the keyboard to keep as close to the timing as possible, which in my last attempt ended up being an average of 2 rows, but it isnt as bad as it was and the corrections I am needing to make in my code arent as extreme. This information really has helped me a lot.
Best regards.