The Breath Of Life (mp3)

Started by n0cturn, February 22, 2024, 04:14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

n0cturn

I hate being the one posting the weird sh#t, but... here I am, and here it is! Not a serious tune (despite what it sounds like) sometimes theres just no stopping what comes out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/108HwzbXu3OiQ9t_eOTfUn5j-2R-jdTpj/view?usp=sharing

Saga Musix

Interesting rhythm section - it could be a bit louder compared to the melodic instruments to be more punchy, I guess.

You should also double-check where that high DC offset in the second is coming from. Check out the attached screenshots in case you are not aware of what i'm talking about:

first part.png

There is no DC offset in the first part, so the low frequency content in the spectrum analyzer is almost not present, and the waveform is centered nicely.

second part.png

In the second part, you can see a large DC component - the spectrum does not "roll off" towards 0 Hz, and as a result, the whole waveform is shifted upwards. While it may just seem like a visual issue at first, this means that the track will clip more easily and as a result cannot become as loud.
Options to fix this would be to figure out if a specific sample is causing it, and then use the DC offset removal function in OpenMPT's sample editor, or if the exact source cannot be pinpointed (or it's due to something weird going on in a VST plugin, for example), a global high-pass filter could be applied to the mix.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

n0cturn

Too be honest I'm still no wiser! I sort of, kinda, maybe, do know what DC offset is, at least I've heard of it before, but I'm not very technically minded with music.

It's definitely the sample thats slightly blown out (sort of what appealed) Thanks for the advice. I really should get a bit more technical so I understand what is happening with the sound.

Saga Musix

I think just by knowing the term you will already be able to find plenty of helpful resources. It's not a big issue but due to the nature of the problem, it will allow your track to be less loud before it clips, so it's always a good idea to get rid of any DC offset in your tracks - typically by fixing affected samples or applying a high-pass filter.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.