Can I convert OGG to XM?

Started by pompom454, December 20, 2023, 17:41:01

Previous topic - Next topic

pompom454

Hi! I am working on a music mod for SRB2Kart, and I am wondering, can I convert a looping OGG to an XM file? This is for a song that requires XM unlike other songs that require OGG.

Saga Musix

I think this procedure would be the easiest:
1) Go to OpenMPT's sample editor and load the OGG sample.
2) From the editor, save the sample as a WAV file.
3) Now go to File -> Open and locate the WAV file. This will cause the WAV file to be converted to an IT file.
4) After opening, go to View -> Song Properties and from the first drop-down, choose the XM format and press OK. Now you can save that XM file.

Do note though that XM files can only contain uncompressed sample data, so the resulting XM file will typically be ten times bigger than the original OGG file. This may or may not be a problem depending on the use case.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

pompom454

Quote from: Saga Musix on December 20, 2023, 17:49:41I think this procedure would be the easiest:
1) Go to OpenMPT's sample editor and load the OGG sample.
2) From the editor, save the sample as a WAV file.
3) Now go to File -> Open and locate the WAV file. This will cause the WAV file to be converted to an IT file.
4) After opening, go to View -> Song Properties and from the first drop-down, choose the XM format and press OK. Now you can save that XM file.

Do note though that XM files can only contain uncompressed sample data, so the resulting XM file will typically be ten times bigger than the original OGG file. This may or may not be a problem depending on the use case.
Thanks!