How was these samples included with the OpenMPT Example Song pack processed?

Started by ASIKWUSpulse, July 21, 2023, 14:36:16

Previous topic - Next topic

ASIKWUSpulse

Almost all the drum samples (Room Kick, Room Toom, Atomic Snare, Closed Hi-hat etc.) share a similiar and really nice compression, EQ and gated reverb tail.
I'm trying to achieve that sound with some other drum samples. How was it done?
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)

Saga Musix

The "secret sauce" of most of my drums processing is the following:

• One instance of Korg MDE-X, preset Space Reverb, EQ Low Gain set all the way to the minimum, optionally set High Damp to Thru.
  • A second instance of Korg MDE-X, preset Hi-Fi Comp.
  • Cut off the reverb tail to taste.

That's all there is to it, most of the time. Sometimes there is some EQ and additional compression inserted before the reverb.

I think I may have found the effect chain that was used for at least some of the drums in the example song package, where slightly different presets were chosen, but it's all still done with the MDE-X plugin (plus Electri-Q for some slight EQing). I have attached that effect chain to this post.

Generally, similar effects should be achievable with similar large reverb and aggressive compression settings of other plugins. The nice thing about this specific effect chain is that it can even be applied in realtime in a hardware setup, if you have a Korg Triton, because MDE-X is based on the internal effects of the Triton. :) I've connected a drum machine to the Triton's sampling inputs, applied exactly the same effects as above and it sounds pretty much the same as my offline processing in OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ASIKWUSpulse

Nice! Thanks Saga! :)

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 21, 2023, 17:38:01Generally, similar effects should be achievable with similar large reverb and aggressive compression settings of other plugins.

An example of old recreation entries is the samples attatched to this post and the modules linked below,
so yeah that's true - but this eases up things a lot ;D

Module #1 (The bongos and the clap are the entries)
Module #2 (at 2:31 drums that were recreation entries can be heard)
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)