Main Menu

RETRO

Started by n0cturn, July 19, 2023, 23:51:53

Previous topic - Next topic

n0cturn

Ive recently used the auto update feature, never used it before as i use the portable version and didnt think it would install over the old version. happy to say it did install into the portable version location ok, but... ive a couple of questions

First, whats the RETRO next to the version name in tittle bar denote? is it a less upto date version? cut down in some way? some other difference to the NORMAL version? and secondly, and i dont know if this is just my crappy system, but whenever i quit the program now it straight away loads up again, which it never did before.

The reloading is driving me mad (well madder)

manx

Quote from: n0cturn on July 19, 2023, 23:51:53Ive recently used the auto update feature, never used it before as i use the portable version and didnt think it would install over the old version. happy to say it did install into the portable version location ok

Yes, auto-update also supports portable installations, so this is expected.

Quote from: n0cturn on July 19, 2023, 23:51:53First, whats the RETRO next to the version name in tittle bar denote? is it a less upto date version? cut down in some way? some other difference to the NORMAL version?

Yes, it is a version which also works on Windows XP, and does not support modern features like sample import via MediaFoundation (like AAC files) or sound output viaq WASAPI (which is the default on anything more modern like Windows 7 or later.

So, did auto-update install the RETRO version for you over the regular version? Which version did you update from? There was a bug before version 1.30.09, which would cause that (see https://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=1642).

Quote from: n0cturn on July 19, 2023, 23:51:53and i dont know if this is just my crappy system, but whenever i quit the program now it straight away loads up again, which it never did before.

I have no idea why that would or even could happen?! The auto-update closes OpenMPT and restarts it, but that really should not happen every time.

n0cturn

Im not sure what version i updated from, but as ive not updated for months chances are it was the version you mentioned that has issues, but i do know i never had 'RETRO' on the tittle bar.

So now the question is... how do i get the normal version without loosing all my setup? I know i can just download and use the portable version, but is there a settings file i can copy over to keep my settings?

As far as the restarting goes, that seems to have stopped now (as of today anyway) My system does need a fresh install of windows which im reluctant to do because id loose all my setup for all the stuff installed so im guessing its a system problem not Ompt.

Im using windows 10 by the way on a very basic mini pc box sat under the tv (which probably explains the bad music)

manx

Quote from: n0cturn on July 20, 2023, 15:42:16how do i get the normal version without loosing all my setup? I know i can just download and use the portable version, but is there a settings file i can copy over to keep my settings?

You just download the portable version you want and extract it over your current copy. The downloads do not include the settings/ini file, which will thus preserve your current setup. You should review your soundcard settings after that, because using the RETRO version my have changed from WASAPI to something else.

Quote from: n0cturn on July 20, 2023, 15:42:16As far as the restarting goes, that seems to have stopped now (as of today anyway) My system does need a fresh install of windows which im reluctant to do because id loose all my setup for all the stuff installed so im guessing its a system problem not Ompt.

I cannot imagine how a system problem (or even a OpenMPT problem) could cause that, except for installing another update.

n0cturn

Thanks for your replies, i'll download the normal portable version and do as you said, copying it over the previous version.

hopefully the reloading thing has stopped, if it does come back i'll let you know in case theres an issue witb the auto update, although i think other people would have noticed it as well.

Thanks for your help.