Interface too bright

Started by Dudu, March 19, 2023, 08:33:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudu

Hi,

Is there a way to modify the global appearance of Openmpt? I'd like to at least turn the white to grey due to my photophobia, if possible indeed.

Thanks in advance

manx

OpenMPT has no own skinning controls for its GUI.

OpenMPT uses standard Windows controls via MFC. Thus, if you configure Windows for Dark Mode and/or configure indicidual system colors dark, OpenMPT's UI will use these. The pattern colors can be adjusted separately in the settings: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Setup/Display .

Saga Musix

As manx says, apart from the colors that OpenMPT defines by itself, it has no control over the window colors provided by Windows. Classic Win32 applications have no easy possibility to make use of the built-in "dark mode" provided by Windows 10. But given your condition, it might make sense to use a tool like Classic Color Panel to change the color scheme for all classic Win32 applications, not just OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Dudu

That info about openMPT using Windows main color was everything I needed, thanks to you I found a way to modify it through registry, now everything that was white is far gone and my eyes can finally rest.

Wishing you a great day !

Doug

Dudu I'm curious how did you modify the registry to change the colors of the OpenMPT GUI? I like the default Gui for OpenMPT jut fine, but I am curious as to what you did in the Windows registry to change that. Did you simply turn off the Windows theming engine so that windows 10 or Windows 11 looks like windows 95/98, after which time OpenMPT would just use whatever color you set just like back in Windows 95/98/XP classic mode/Vista classic mode and Windows 7 classic mode? I am not crazy about hacking the registry as that can lead to a blue screen of death, that is also why I do not like to use a theming engine patch in order to use third party skins for Windows, because there is always the potential to really mess things up so that your installation of Windows does not even boot up or you end up with a blue screen of death. To me none of those things is worth it for the sake of aesthetics.

Saga Musix

You don't need to switch themes, just use the Classic Color Panel linked above. That will make all the necessary registry changes for you without having to worry that anything will be messed up.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Doug

Classic Color Panel looks like a very useful tool, I think I will try it.