VSTs that used to work freeze OpenMPT when their interfaces are opened.

Started by VorTechnix, November 19, 2023, 04:00:28

Previous topic - Next topic

VorTechnix

I recently returned to OpenMPT after a long hiatus. I updated OpenMPT to the latest version (via download) and opened an old project only to discover several VSTs in it would freeze MPT when I tried to open their interfaces.

• The vsts are 32 bit, I'm using 32 bit (x86) OpenMPT (I triple checked).
  • I tried uninstalling and reinstalling OpenMPT.
  • I tried deleting the plugin cache and settings files (so they would be regenerated).
  • I tried the plugins in new MPTM projects.

The VSTS are as follows:

Eclipsis (which has been flaky in the past)
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/eclipsis-by-zone-sk

A bunch of vsts by 'The Colorspace' (I've been using them in OpenMPT for a few years -- Bass One, Cloud, and Feeling were the ones I tested)
https://plugins4free.com/dev/265/

Maxwell Smart (which has worked since I started using OpenMPT)
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/maxwell-smart-by-lively-audio

These are the ones I've tested so far but there are probably more.

Some Technical information attached

Saga Musix

It is very likely that they worked fine before because you were using the 32-bit version of OpenMPT, so the plugins didn't need to be bridged. If you still use lots of 32-bit plugins, you should definitely continue to run the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version, to avoid the dependency on the plugin bridge - which will work with many plugins, but plugin GUIs are still the biggest problem, and while I can look into making those particular plugins work, you will definitely be better off trying to keep things unbridged.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

VorTechnix

I still am using the 32bit version of OpenMPT. That's why I'm so surprised this problem is happening. Could it be that MPT is trying to bridge the plugins regardless? Is there a way I can disable bridging to test?

Saga Musix

I tried two of the plugins you mentioned (Cloud, Maxwell Smart) and they appear to be working fine here, both in OpenMPT x86 and x86_64 (so running via the plugin bridge). That makes it difficult to give any more suggestions. It could be any sort of 3rd-party software causing the issue (antivirus, graphics drivers, or even other plugins but you mentioned that you created new MPTMs so that can be ruled out). Have you tried forcing those plugins to run through the plugin bridge (can be done through the plugin manager window)? That would be one more thing worth trying.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

VorTechnix

Okay, I tried forcing plugin bridge and then tried using the increase compatibility option as well. Maxwell and the others are still broken. I even tried enabling the bridge all plugins setting. At this point I have no idea what could be wrong. I already uninstalled and reinstalled OpenMPT once so I'm kind of at a loss on how to proceed from here.

Saga Musix

It would be good to know when was the last time you used those plugins, in particular if you were using a different operating system or machine altogether, and which OpenMPT version you used at the time. While it is entirely possible that something changed in OpenMPT, operating system upgrades, graphics driver updates and the like are more often than not the reason for older plugins stopping to work. Especially if it's just the GUI that stopped working, it is very much possible that there is a graphics driver issue if a plugin is using OpenGL ore DirectX for rendering its UI.

You can also try downloading the version of OpenMPT you last used when writing those old tracks (you can see the version that was used to save a file in the Song Properties dialog) from our OpenMPT archive and check if the plugin still works when using that version. If it's broken in that version as well, you have a clear indication that some other change in the system caused the breakage.

VorTechnix

Here are bunch of the broken plugins working fine in OpenMPT 1.21.01.00 (32bit) as of this morning. I should also note they work in my other DAW (Tracktion 7) as of this morning.