MOD into Ableton Live

Started by fetito666, January 22, 2023, 19:17:04

Previous topic - Next topic

fetito666

Happy New Year!

One question regarding Amiga 500-MOD files such es the "Elvira" / "Waxworks" soundtrack.

I can play them perfectly with "OpenMPT".

However, I want to export the samples and the MIDI to import them back into Ableton.

Is this possible with the samples?

So far, I was only able to import MIDIs extracted from MODs.

Thank you!

Saga Musix

You can shift-click the save button in the sample editor to export all samples at once. Export as WAV or FLAC depending on what your sampler plugin (or built-in sampler) supports.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

fetito666

Danke! Which method of importing it to Ableton do you recommend as in using a MIDI instrument I guess.

Saga Musix

I have never used Ableton Live, so I have no idea how it works and what would work best for your use-case.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

fetito666

Thank you! Somehow I failed misserably using "Simpler" in Ableton:

The original: https://youtu.be/bC1Oo4CUljo?list=RDbC1Oo4CUljo

My first try: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s542pqlx07jo7ny/garden.mp3?dl=0

So what am I doing wrong? The MIDI needs to start at C1?

Saga Musix

Sorry, it's impossible to tell what went wrong just from listening to that sample file. Exporting the MIDI file and samples separately, and then assigning the samples exactly as they are, should give you a pretty much identical-sounding result compared to the original MOD. Importing the MIDI file into OpenMPT again and assigning the samples as exported from the sample editor certainly doesn't mess the result up like this. Maybe the sampler is trying to be smart because the middle-C frequency of those samples is very low by today's standards, it kinda sounds like it randomly pitches up and down the individual samples.

fetito666

Thanks. Just fixed it by adjusting the root note. This is confusing, but I made it. Yay!

Rakib

^^