'Respond to Song Messages' not working

Started by atarirob, January 04, 2023, 18:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

atarirob

Hello!

I'm currently trying to set up OpenMPT to be my main sampler instrument in my setup. I'm currently controlling all my other gear via a Yamaha QY700 sequencer. I want to be able to send Play / Continue / Stop MIDI messages to OpenMPT. This option is in the settings, however it doesn't seem to work under any circumstance. I have the MIDI Input/Output plugin active on it's own track, everything is properly configured, OpenMPT is still able to send MIDI and sync hardware devices, just not the other way around.

I have tested it as thoroughly as I can - have tried using 2 different soundcards, 2 different MIDI cables and also tried using an Elektron Machinedrum instead of the QY700 for the MIDI messages. Both instruments and soundcards transmit MIDI (MIDI-OX is picking up Play/Stop/Start, Note messages, timing, etc.). Tested on OpenMPT ver. 1.31.00.16 and ver. 1.30.08.00

I have also tried enabling the 'Continue song as soon as MIDI notes are being recieved' option but this also yields no results.

MPT doesn't seem to want to play ball! Any ideas? Would love to get this working.

Cheers :)

Saga Musix

Unfortunately neither of those two functionalities work with the MIDI I/O plugin, because plugins are always suspended while playback is stopped. They only work with the MIDI recording functionality that can be toggled from the main toolbar.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

atarirob

Quote from: Saga Musix on January 04, 2023, 22:21:38Unfortunately neither of those two functionalities work with the MIDI I/O plugin, because plugins are always suspended while playback is stopped. They only work with the MIDI recording functionality that can be toggled from the main toolbar.

Thanks for the reply :) You'll have to forgive me, I'm struggling to understand the last part of your response.

Do you mean that the 'Respond to MIDI Start/Cont./Stop' feature only works when the MIDI I/O plugin is not present? I have deleted the plugin from the project, however MPT still does not respond to any MIDI transport messages.

...Or am I misunderstanding the feature entirely?

I'm trying to get OpenMPT to begin playback when I hit 'Play' on my hardware sequencer, like a slaved MIDI instrument; is this at all possible? Obiously this is a bit of a non issue as OpenMPT is a perfectly good master MIDI sequencer in it's own right, but I'd really like to achieve this setup.

Again, thank you for your help!!

Saga Musix

What I mean is that you have to select the correct MIDI recording device from the main toolbar (7th button), and make sure that button is toggled on. Whether you use the MIDI I/O plugin in addition to that to record from other device doesn't matter, however most MIDI drivers won't allow you to use a device for both the "classic" MIDI recording functionality and through the MIDI I/O plugin at the same time.

Some more information can be found here: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_MIDI_Reference#OpenMPT_Setup
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

atarirob

Quote from: Saga Musix on January 05, 2023, 11:23:41What I mean is that you have to select the correct MIDI recording device from the main toolbar (7th button), and make sure that button is toggled on. Whether you use the MIDI I/O plugin in addition to that to record from other device doesn't matter, however most MIDI drivers won't allow you to use a device for both the "classic" MIDI recording functionality and through the MIDI I/O plugin at the same time.

Some more information can be found here: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_MIDI_Reference#OpenMPT_Setup

Ahh, I see! I'm sorry, I was misunderstanding the concept. I didn't even think to enable MIDI record as I assumed MIDI Play messages would work independant of it. Works perfectly on both versions I have installed.

Thanks again!  ;D