MIDI Bank select

Started by KingWolf, November 11, 2022, 20:39:21

Previous topic - Next topic

KingWolf

Hello All!

First, let me preface this with the following disclaimer. I am well aware that this software is not intended to be used for MIDI editing. However, with that said, I am still wondering about this feature, for purposes of my production, since the UI already has this in place.

I would like to know why bank selection on *this* component is not working as I would imagine it to work.

I am trying to access *bank 8* of a particular soundfont I have spent literally 3 days combining and remapping so I could attempt to use it. However, I have to do some really bizarre math to get this to properly track to bank 8. Why?  Any insight would be helpful, because this seems like a very flakey workaround in my case. I had to randomly work out the math with trial and error.

(in my case: 128*[bank]+1)

I feel as though it might be different depending on the midi device I am using to get the proper bank.

Thank you in advance
Cheers

Saga Musix

MIDI banks are specified as pair of MIDI CC 0 (coarse / high) and CC 32 (fine / low). Banks in soundfonts refer to just CC 0, i.e. the high bank (SF2 has no way of setting the low bank). Hence you have to multiply them by 128 to get the full bank number (and add 1 for the UI which starts counting banks at 1, which is a bit more human-friendly than starting at 0).
It may be a bit uncomfortable in this specific case but referencing soundfonts isn't the main target of this feature, accurately selecting a pair of high and low bank number on external MIDI gear (or VST plugins) is, and just being able to set the high bank isn't enough for that.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

KingWolf

Cool! As long as it's predictable and constant, it works for me. I do notice some weirdness during playback where it may miss a cue to change the program when asked, but only when switching between patterns while it's still playing (I think), but that may just be the interface i'm using. Thanks for the response :)

Saga Musix

Some synthesizers and plugins have an issue processing MIDI notes that are sent right after (or at the same time as) a program change. Is that maybe what you're encountering?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

KingWolf

That sounds like it, Thankfully it seems to be rare, after more repeated testing, and not during normal straight through playback, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue :) Thanks again for confirming the math! Let the games begin lol