[no rhythm] De Vierde Zee?n - (MOD)

Started by Sam_Zen, June 26, 2006, 23:56:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

More a scene than a song I suppose. Short version. Tracked with 4 channels and lo-fi samples.
The Fourth Seas

Louigi Verona

Short version - 6 minutes?  :lol:

Well, I do prefer more normal music, and having listened to some of your tracks I wonder if you can do smth more ordinary! No offence, of course.

XAVT

I kinda like that track but to be honest its not really hard to do. I agree with Louigi Verona.

:/
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

Sam_Zen

2 Louigi Verona
The long one is more that 10 minutes. Yes, I have made 'normal' (whatever that may be) music too, but to me it's no reason to make no other things as well, if I want to. The tools are there.

2 XAVT
I'm not sure what you mean here. Not really hard to make, or not really hard to like ?

Squirrel Havoc

Damn, was this really made in 1995? I saw the year in the samples section, but it could have been from a ripped sample from a song made in 95.

Why the lofi samples? 8bit doesnt have to be crap.

Kinda different, but not too different, just amience. Sounds like the background music for a Myst-like point and click game.
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Louigi Verona

Quote2 Louigi Verona
The long one is more that 10 minutes. Yes, I have made 'normal' (whatever that may be) music too, but to me it's no reason to make no other things as well, if I want to. The tools are there.

Can I get a listen of normal music of yours?

Sam_Zen

2 Squirrel Havoc
Ambience indeed.
Yes, it was made in 1995 with FastTracker II on a DOS-AT-machine. Low speed and a 40 Mb HD. So I was forced to use lofi samples qua values. I agree that 8bit doesnt have to be crap. The excellent resample algoritm of MPT helps a lot to get a decent cd-quality wav-file. Of course then the max have to be taken out of the available samples by editing them to be as 'clean' as possible. Every unnecessary backgroundnoise will be amplified in the upsampling as well.

2 Louigi Verona
I've considered your request, and so far come up with this choice : Breed Vloei . A zipped ogg-file.

apple-joe

Listening to 4th Seas. As usual I like the alternative-ness of the song. The constant backing sound which have now lasted for about 15 patterns provides for a psychotic sound. Oh, and the additional shorter sound effects don't make it any less psychotic, heh heh. Interesting listening.

Gonna have a listen to the more 'ordinary' (somehow I don't believe you) song of yours any second.

"Breed Vloei": Hm - surprisingly standard track, considering the composer. Very monotonous rhythm section, but it works. Personal favourite part: the strings which appeared every now and then.

XAVT

I ment that the song is not very hard to track.

about that other song... what year was it made in? sounds old... if so, not bad in turms of it-soundquality but a bit too repititive: the beat never changes and there were no breaks or keychange or anything for that matter. I did kinda like the broken intro and the thought put behind the paning [though there was a certain part where there was a snare stuck in my left ear without any contra, making me feel slightly uncomfortable ] :/
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

Sam_Zen

Not very hard to track ? I still don't get it. Easily made you mean ?

"Breed Vloei" ("Broad Cig.paper") is also quite old indeed, made in 1996. There was no intention to create breaks or keychanges in this piece, deliberately not part of the compo. I checked for the isolated snare on the left but couldn't find it.
Can you give a clue about the time-moment in the song this happens ?

Hydlide

ok, i might even be new to modplug central. But here is my opinion... And honest (ps, I even have been tracking for 5 years now.. if you are wondering).

The thing I think most guys are 'guessing at'.. about easy tracking. There is not much that difficult to track a piece like that. Serious. If you listen to the back ground string, they are mono tomic. Just a single sample and just loop it. As it comes to the additional sounds, its i just random combinination of loops to come up with and sequence them. It is not that hard to do.

But... Before I will make this a complete negative post, I also want to compliment you at the same time.

I have a kind of feeling what you are trying to accomplish here in this music piece. As far as I can tell, listening to the composition while even typing this, it is more ment as a 'scenery'.. as a 'setup'. And if that is the case, I personally think you are doing a great job at it. Because I think the scenery sounds 'mysterious' to me, and it would be great for something like in a Role Playing Game or something in a fermiliar setup where you are wondering around in some 'dark cave'...

I must admit, I haven't heard previous work of you.. so that might even 'cloud' my judgement. But what I feel, and sence from this piece. It sounds great as a scene on its own.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.

Squirrel Havoc

I agree that it might be easy for some people to track like this (I mean, its just as easy to be different as it is the same), but to me (and not anyone else it seems), art is not about effort anymore, its not about intention, its not about how much they know on the form of art they are using, its the end products. For example, if I song sounds good, then it's a good song. Doesnt matter if it was easy, or if the composer was a music major or a 12 year old goofing off with a synth, if its good, its good. Leave intentions up to the art critics to determine to "has it" and who doesn't.

Just my non-cents
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Hydlide"If you listen to the back ground string, they are mono tonic. Just a single sample and just loop it.
I think I caused some confusion in the conversation here by introducing the second download, 'Breed Vloei' as well, because there is no strings in 'De Vierde Zee?n', only a choir.
QuoteJust a single sample and just loop it.
If this tracking is 'easy' or not, is an open question. Maybe it looks easy, because I don't have the habit of making patterns with lots of effect-codes scattered all over the place, or using external plugins. Ok, so not much work for the editing of the patterns, but you don't know how much work I did put in the preparation of the samples.
Because I make my own samples. Having a string sample is not a matter of 'just loop it'. Big chance that you keep hearing the transition of end and restart of the sample. This demands quite precise editing of the sample te get it right.
Quoteit is more ment as a 'scenery'.. as a 'setup'.
As I said on top : More a scene than a song I suppose.
'Mysterious' or 'dark cave' is nice close to my own impression : 'underwater'.
Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"art is not about effort anymore, its not about intention, its not about how much they know on the form of art they are using, its the end products.
I understand your point about the end product. But I (quite rare) disagree with you about art being no effort anymore.
I strongly believe in craftmanship, no matter the electronic luxuries available now. Ans every craftman knows, that sometimes tedious work has to be done. Even if this work doesn't show off in the result very obvious, but it has to be done, according to the intentions.
QuoteDoesnt matter if it was easy, or if the composer was a music major or a 12 year old goofing off with a synth, if its good, its good.
There are lazy music majors and lazy 12 year olds too. So both are no guarantee to get something good. Both can make crap too. A binary truthtable it is. So the distinction still will rely on dedication, and finetuning, so extra efforts.

Louigi Verona

Quote2 Louigi Verona
I've considered your request, and so far come up with this choice : Breed Vloei . A zipped ogg-file.

Not a bad house track... but...
Can you come up with some other choice? Do you have tracks that are not based on drums and sound effects? No offence meant, just curious.

Sam_Zen

I could, but I will not do this here, with the risk of confusing the discussion even more with a third song.

If I want to add another example, I will make it a new topic.

So I suggest to check out the Download category of the forum first. There are already several other modules available there.