OpenMPT is **** (not user-friendly)

Started by PRAYTHEPO, January 24, 2023, 16:33:39

Previous topic - Next topic

SewerSide

Well, You gotta admire coming in to kick the hornets nest over...A Tiger going into the Lions Den which happens to be full to the brim.

OpenMPT is not my cup of tea either...I always refer to it as the 'Windows Explorer Tracker'...I say it is probably the musical equivalent of Blender for the CG Peeps. Very powerful but rubs me wrong.

But sheer power & feature set is not the 'end all' of attributes & if a Tracker is not ever going to use any of the advanced features of OpenMPT or perhaps refuses to learn anything about musical composition just creating more 'bwomp, bwomp, bwomp........' all at high volume & fast BPM with no breaks just 'jumping octaves' & applying overt filter sweeps for an agonizing 12 minute 'tune' then a very simple tracker will do.

Original poster could probably have been more methodical & scientific about presenting argument but overall there won't be too many takers here.

Personally I wish I could take all the best attributes of ALL trackers I have used & reject the grim features & make it so. But I have gotten into the 'challenge' of work arounds and alt methods probably more of a hobby than tracking is as there are so many unfinished & abandoned trackers out there.

Vad1m_1719

Quote from: SewerSide on February 16, 2023, 13:02:23OpenMPT is not my cup of tea either...I always refer to it as the 'Windows Explorer Tracker'...I say it is probably the musical equivalent of Blender for the CG Peeps. Very powerful but rubs me wrong.

I think, required special Text mode GUI interface

I'm the BLACK KNIGHT. I'm designing Text-Based GUI, see my header hacks

shorty

all good, it's a great tracker. But it needs a dark theme 8)

phanoo

I've always quite liked OpenMPT i even contributed to it by submitting color icons for the GUI  ;D
Now for modern music production I guess it just cannot compete with DAWs for things like automation, VST integration, good MIDI support... but as a tracker when dealing with pure samples it works really well. The "new" event chase also helps useability a lot (the fact that you don't have to go back a few rows to trigger the samples, they start right from the current playing position).

Saga Musix

Okay, time to close this thread. No need to keep it alive with ideas why OpenMPT might not appeal to some people. The original poster made it clear that their issue with OpenMPT is that it does not mimic FT2. No textmode interface, no tutorial for beginners, no MIDI support, no DAW-like features will help with that. As the original poster did not provide any constructive feedback beyond that, there's no need to keep discussing this.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.