[OT] Need help on MIDI setup (not MPT related at all)

Started by Squirrel Havoc, July 01, 2006, 00:21:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

OK, I got a MIDI keyboard, a MIDI capable synth, and a MIDI capable electronic drum kit. Now I want to link them all up in a chain so they can communicate, and I can use the MIDI-to-gameport adapter thats connected to my keyboard to route all the info to a software sequencer.

OK, is this possible? If so, how would I even start? All I know is I need some MIDI cables, but something tells me thats not all there is to it

All hardware has IN-OUT-THRU on it, incase that matters.

Any ideas?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

I'm not exactly sure how it worked, but midi thru used to create a chain.

I believe it was something like: out goes to another's thru port. something like that.

Therefore, I did a google search.

http://www.midiworld.com/basics.htm

The INs and OUTs of MIDI
The closest most people ever care to get to the heart of the MIDI interface are the three 5-pin ports found on the back of every MIDI unit. Labeled IN, OUT, and THRU, these ports control all of the information routing in a MIDI system. The IN port accepts MIDI data, data coming "in" to the unit from an external source. This is the data that controls the sound generators of the synthesizer. The OUT port sends MIDI data "out" to the rest of the MIDI setup. This data results from activity of the synthesizer, such as key presses, patch changes, and so on. The THRU port also sends data out to the MIDI system, but not in the same manner as the OUT port. The data coming from the THRU port is an exact copy of the data received at the synthesizer's IN port. There is no change made to the data from the time it arrives at the IN port to the time is leaves the THRU port (which is a very, VERY small amount of time).

That page also describes alot of information about linking and such, so I'd suggest you to read it. Somewhere at the half of that page, it starts with midi in out thru and linking it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs