Help with playing some *.669 files I extracted from executable files?

Started by stalkerloner, May 18, 2022, 14:35:06

Previous topic - Next topic

stalkerloner

Greetings,

I attached some .669 files I extracted from a game's executable file. I am not familiar with any composer module software in 90s until I saw this. after doing searching I got basic ideas that players such as Winamp/XMP/ModPlug may help but I am not so sure because I've tried all these the files still won't play.
So I wonder if they have been protected that you won't be able to play them outside the game? or just because I haven't configured my plugins properly?
Could you shed some light? If they are really fake/unplayable files I can quit wasting my time forcing innocent players to play files they are not supposed to... files attached, thanks!

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

StarWolf3000

As Saga wrote in that other thread, it is more likely coincidence with those two byte sequences, as everything after them seems to be just garbage, and the loader in OpenMPT gives up after them.

I tried to decipher the song message with a few algorithms, in case everything after the byte sequence may be encrypted in some form, but it never made any sense.

Saga Musix

If it was encrypted, it would have to be stronger encryption than you could reliably tell from the short message field anyway because no sensible audio data is present in those files - if the encryption was weak enough to retrieve such a short text, then it would most likely also be weak enough that at least some very distorted sample data should be audible. And of course it wouldn't really make any sense that everything but the first two bytes is encrypted. Might just as well encrypt the whole file then.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

stalkerloner

Quote from: Saga Musix on May 18, 2022, 15:28:22
I posted a reply in your other thread.

Great thanks for your analysis! So they are not .669 files at all...and being unable to play in any player explains it all.
Actually I have been using this powerful freeware: DragonUnpacker to extract music files from game executables/asset files. I also contacted its author regarding this issue, he aslo suggested that the resulted 669 file could be false positives.

The game can be downloaded Here
Seems it packs almost everything in the ninmusu.exe file (~1GB). Music files must be there. Maybe you professionals could look into it and see its structure?

So in general, is there a univeral method to extract sound files from exe? I am asking because I always find those game soundtracks beautiful and want to have them however recording them fromwithin PC is never considered practical :-[.

Saga Musix

1GB? That's extremely unlikely to have any sort of tracked music in it. I thought you were talking about an old DOS game, where 669 music would have been a bit more realistic. Sorry, can't help with that. Also I had to remove the link - links to warez are not allowed here (and I won't be running a warez installer just to retrieve that executable to peek inside).

QuoteSo in general, is there a univeral method to extract sound files from exe?
No. Any method you come up with, someone can modify their program to evade detection again. You're pretty much stuck with heuristics, and as soon as file contents are encrypted or using some sort of custom compression scheme, heuristics become worthless. If you cannot find a tool that specifically works with the files of that game, you're out of luck. Of course it doesn't mean that it's impossible to retrieve the data but you'd probably do quite some reverse-engineering to get there.