sample/drum pads use with MPT?

Started by AngelDust, April 17, 2022, 22:33:14

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelDust

i'm thinking of buying an alesis drum pad  and an akai MPD 218 or the like, do these devices work with MPT and how many controllers can i set up to use with MPT?
does it have the capability to handle multiple devices and assign each patch to a different device?

i'm not actually able to use MPT on my imac now because catalina won't let me run wine anymore, so i can't test to see if my akai MPK 49 sample pads are usable, but i would guess that whatever midi you device you plug in will show up in MPT and samples can be mapped to any keys or pad same as any keyboard controller? in the instrument note mapping box, those notes will connect/assign with the pads on whatever controller is plugged in?

Saga Musix

Drum pads are regular MIDI instruments, there's no reason why a particular device shouldn't work with OpenMPT. The default way of recording is limited to a single MIDI input device at this moment but through the MIDI Input / Output plugin that ships with OpenMPT you can record from more than one MIDI device. However, it's currently not possible to map different input devices or MIDI channels to different instruments or pattern channels - at least not in an unlimited way. There is the Keyboard Split option but that only divides the keyboard into two zones in the pattern editor, so it's probably not very useful for what you want to achieve.

Quotei'm not actually able to use MPT on my imac now because catalina won't let me run wine anymore
With the most recent macOS versions, you will need to use the 64-bit version of Wine and use an OpenMPT "retro" build (the ones with XP support), which can be found further down on OpenMPT's download page.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

AngelDust

Thank you for explaining this :)

I couldn't find any 64 bit version of wine? I think there was some information about how to convert it somehow with other ad ons, commands or programming? But I know nothing about that stuff, zilch, zero, zip

I posted a thread about this a short while ago and someone said that the only way to run MPT on my imac is with Crossover.

Saga Musix

Quote from: AngelDust on April 20, 2022, 00:22:17I couldn't find any 64 bit version of wine?
I don't know how you install Wine, but installing it through brew gives you a 64-bit version. I don't know if they updated the formula to use that by default though, so if they haven't, you might have to run the 64-bit versions from the command line (wine64 /path/to/OpenMPT.exe) since by default it will try to use a 32-bit environment.

Quote from: AngelDust on April 20, 2022, 00:22:17
I posted a thread about this a short while ago and someone said that the only way to run MPT on my imac is with Crossover.
Yes, that was me, but at that point we didn't know yet that the OpenMPT builds for Windows XP would run on macOS.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.