Advice in overcoming the "beginner pain"?

Started by middle-c, March 28, 2022, 16:51:30

Previous topic - Next topic

middle-c

"beginner pain" = The composition of a piece of music requires basic knowledge that you have to get from practice and study.
As a beginner, all you are going to do is study the boring stuff, without ever getting the flow a professional artist. You can't just compose, because you aren't able to.
I'm not complaining, since every musician had to overcome that period of time, but maybe you have an advice to make it less painful.  :-[

Saga Musix

Trackers are notoriously difficult to get into, but they have one big advantage over a lot of other music software - there is a big sharing culture that enables you to learn from many people just by looking at their module files (e.g. on ModArchive). I think that looking at how other people achieved something that you think sounds cool is one of the best ways of learning how to get into trackers (but won't replace formal knowledge of music theory, of course).

Similar questions have been asked in the past, check out for example this thread for more answers: https://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=6250.0
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

middle-c

The links are very useful indeed.
Thank you ^^ I'll make sure to search for similar questions next time.

LPChip

Also, you can get very practical with a tracker to learn composing on the fly. If you don't know how the program works, follow the tutorial. From there, you can just play with it and your music becomes better with every song. Don't look for the technical knowhow, look for what you love to hear and create that.

It works best if you just cut everything in sections. So don't try to create that entire song you hear in your head, but create a bass line, create a drum track, create a melody etc...

And once you have something in your song, just find sounds that fit with what you already have and enter notes in and experiment.

Eventually you can try to create an existing song from scratch to get better at converting an idea to a song.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cTrix

Another thing that can be handy to do, is to limit yourself to a set of channels - say 8 or 12.  And also a set of limited instruments.  A bass, a cool synth for chords, something for lead and maybe 4 or 5 drums.  If you make your first compositions too complex they get very confusing to work on.  I always find having a list next to me with the commands written down is super useful too. 
4ch Protracker MOD's are my home format :-)  GUS is my second happy-place (DOS demos).  Annnnnd our custom demotools inevitably use OpenMPT input.