OBS Studio

Started by Combo Mon, March 27, 2022, 01:59:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Combo Mon

Hello everyone, recently ive run into a problem where when trying to record audio and the visual of the tracker (MPTM) while its running, i have had it jitter / crackle and slow down randomly in certain points of the song.  ???
I'm using the Chipsynth SFC plugin, MPTM format, and recording the tracker with OBS Studio.
Ive tried closing any other tabs so the only thing running is Obs and Open MPT but it still happens.
Has anyone ever had this issue before?
Do you know a common fix for it?
And what other recording software do you recommend for open mpt that will let it run smoothly?
Im recording these videos for a youtube channel and im trying to get it to how "fear of dark" records their videos for example. Just the tracker doing its matrix like visuals for the audience to look at and the music playing with it.
The audio does not crackle when obs studio is off and functions normally. but in turn im unable to use it to record.
Thank you!

Edit: Solved
Found a winner, but it might not be as convenient, i first recorded a video of the tracker without audio and played its wav export over it. Maybe this is what Saga was refering to? Not sure.

Saga Musix

I've never had an issues with the built-in recorder from Windows 10 (Win+G key combination) apart from the colors appearing washed out. If you can record the same song without issues using that method, then maybe OBS studio is consuming too much CPU power. Did you monitor resource utilization in Task Manager to confirm that?
In general it can also help to first record to a lossless codec and then only later convert the lossless video to a more space-efficient codec like H264, as lossless encoding typically requires less resources (apart from hard disk throughput) than more advanced codecs like H264. Try that if you haven't done so.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Combo Mon

I appreciate the reply. i wasn't aware that there was an app pre installed. i got it up and running and it captures mpt alright. But I've run into a problem where there's a bit of cutoff in the video where you can see only the top left portion of the tracker. I messed around, looked at some tutorials but I couldn't find a setting in the game bar that lets you adjust the screen size.

Saga Musix

Yeah, unfortunately it's not very configurable, which often makes it a bit difficult to capture exactly what you want. If you have an NVIDIA graphics card, you could also try Capturinha, but I have no idea if it would work (for the lack of such a GPU).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Combo Mon

Its definitely OBS. I just came back from somewhere, ran mpt running seperately and then it running with obs recording. MPT alone goes up to 33% when playing but with obs recording as well usage goes up to about 88%.

"In general it can also help to first record to a lossless codec and then only later convert the lossless video to a more space-efficient codec like H264, as lossless encoding typically requires less resources (apart from hard disk throughput) than more advanced codecs like H264. Try that if you haven't done so."

Im going to need to learn more about this.