Opl Collection

Started by Exhale, February 02, 2022, 18:13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Exhale

I collected most of the opls I have made in modplug into one place and I decided to share them with you guys here.

Contents of the zip :
377 various instruments of all kinds (mostly house and trance / edm related), some drums, some based on opls I managed to find in various places, but all taken from tunes I have made in the past. Have fun and use them for whatever you want :)

(edit) I thought if you guys want you can pin this post and people can share home made opl collections here.

(edit 2)Just a further bit of information... I think I will be using .iti from now on for posting here because that way you get more functionality with the instruments layer on top... I can for example give more punch to the kicks, and I am sure I will be able to do a lot more with instrument creation. But for anyone else contributing here, go nuts :D any format that we can bring into ompt and use as opl instruments should be awesome

fabricius

Thank you very much for sharing, there are many instruments, it gives a very good start to work with OPL2!

Exhale

Quote from: fabricius on February 14, 2022, 14:46:21
Thank you very much for sharing, there are many instruments, it gives a very good start to work with OPL2!

It's my pleasure dude :)
And please feel free to add your own collections of opls here too, I think an extensive collection of opls could actually be an awesome resource to have on the forums here for people who are starting out or even just for people who are bored and looking for a little bit of a jumping off platform so we can just grab an instrument and tweak it.

fabricius

Hi Exhale,

I don't have many instruments. In fact what I used to do was to take the instruments from the old "instrument maker" program and modify the parameters a bit. I've even done a script that outputs the data directly (I didn't want to install the old DOS program I mentioned). You can have a look at it here: https://github.com/fabbricius/misc_tracking

But now I've discovered OPL3BandEditor here: https://github.com/Wohlstand/OPL3BankEditor it is bundled with many banks, and each of them contains many instruments. You can even listen to the instruments, there's a virtual keyboard included, create your own,... After that you just create new instruments in OpenMpt (I don't think there's a s3i converter in OPL3BankEditor, but there are not so many parameters to edit).

Exhale

No worries, these are just sounds I made / adjusted from some collections I had within ompt, but thank you very much for those tools I am checking out the opl3bandeditor now.
modplugs lovely opl tools are really addictive, I love the potential of it all, and the fact that it is built into our lovely software just makes it so easy to just say to myself, "let me just see what I can make with opl" instead of instantly reaching for a vst.

Also:
If anyone is interested in seeing the kind of things that can be done with the OPL instruments in my download, pretty much every sound in my latest tune on the free music subforum was an opl from that collection I posted here, although some might have been adjusted a little bit (the joys of opl :) ) - I tweak all the time with the opl instruments as the need arises.
Basically what I did to make that download is I went through my list of mptms I had made since opl was released for ompt and just saved the s3is in a single directory, at first it was just for me so I could just grab and go, but then I decided to share with you guys here. I might update that initial post with more opls in the future, and I admit some of the ones i uploaded there are repeats, it was quite a task to take all those opls and name them and I think I did at least one tune twice.

[edit] opl3bandeditor - I got the developer builds and I am not getting any sound out of it while I play the virtual piano on my keyboard - I chose and instrument but I didnt get anything... I am a bit frustrated by that, I was really hoping to use it as a spring board to make creating opls easier, and I imagined I could record the sounds and use them in modplug for the opl3s... either way I am wondering if you might have a suggestion to get sound out of this thing?

fabricius

I'm using OPL3BankEditor  version 1.5.1, the latest one. When I launch it, I got an error popup complaining, I just click ok and it works. Then I open a bank, let's say insmaker_standard.bmk. Then I click on one instrument, and I can hear it using the virtual piano keyboard. I don't remember having done something special. May be the "Volume Model" on the right ? It might not be called like this exactly (I'm using the french translation). Anyway it is set to "OPL3 native", if that can help.

Exhale

Maybe it is this... idk
oh well I am not very techincally minded... I will sleep soon and try it again when I wake.

fabricius

As far I can see, you did not open a bank yet. File / Open then go to the bank folder and click one.
See my attachement, the bank opened appear (insmaker_standard.bnk in my case). then I need to click on one instrument.

Exhale

Quote from: fabricius on February 16, 2022, 10:49:34
As far I can see, you did not open a bank yet. File / Open then go to the bank folder and click one.
See my attachement, the bank opened appear (insmaker_standard.bnk in my case). then I need to click on one instrument.

Wow thanks... it worked :o now I know :D
my brain wasnt all that right at the time - I was very sleepy, but yeah that did the trick thanks :D
thanks very much, it is a useful tool... it is just a pity we dont have 4 operators in ompt yet :) I can see that there is loads of potential there.