Retain Highs from exported sounds

Started by Spocker, December 16, 2021, 10:10:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Spocker

Hi, I'm new to this openMPT software.

I struggle figuring out how to to keep the high frequencies to the exported wav samples.
I believe it has something to do with the internal Amiga A1200 filter?
Anyway, the cut is at about 4k, which is way too low, for being useable for remixing.

The mod file in question, is the one called lotus20.mod
http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_file=NTMy
It's the intro song to Lotus Turbo Challenge 2

Not sure if it's relevant, but I'm using the WASAPI audio driver in the software, and I tried to change it, but that only made Win instantly bluescreen. Could be cause I'm using a Focusrite interface, but I dunno.

But hey, at least I got the midi extracted lol, but I really want the samples to sound the same, as the song itself.

Saga Musix

The A1200 filter should provide very clean sound with lots of treble, unless the LED filter is turned on. But that MOD file does not appear to have any LED filter commands (command E00).
Can you please confirm that the copy of the module that you are exporting is really exactly the one from the archive you linked and not one downloaded from another place? It could very well be that there are other copies of that track floating around that use the E00 command, which would perfectly explain a cutoff at < 5kHz. If that's the case, simply removing command E00 from the pattern data would fix the issue.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Spocker

I downloaded the zip file from the red link at that site yes.

Not familiar with LED filtering, or command E00, but I'll see if I'll find other versions floating on the net.

But could there be other ways of work around it, with the software itself, the mod file, or is that downloaded mod file, in a sense, useless/wrong for this task?

Saga Musix

Can you maybe provide the exported WAV file (a short excerpt of the first 10-20 seconds should be enough) to compare it against what I'm hearing here?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Spocker

Yes, here is a sample from the mod file exported.

It's the one in the file called getup2.

I noticed that in the general tab, resampling drop down menu, I have the Amiga resampler enabled, but the exported sounds like the Sinc (8 taps), even though I do got the Amiga resampler enabled during the export, and the A1200 on in settings.

Saga Musix

Oh, now I understand. You are not actually exporting a recording (exporting normally refers to Stream Export as found in the File menu) - you are saving samples. The resampler does not affect samples at all when saving them to disk, it is only relevant during playback. Saving a sample to disk creates an exact copy of that sample, and since the sample rate of that sample is around 8 kHz, it only contains frequencies content up to 4 kHz. It is then up to the application that you play that WAV file in to apply whatever resampling method it is using (most likely something similar to OpenMPT's 8-tap sinc resampler).
There's no perfect solution to this because resampling is a dynamic process; the resampler creates a different result whenever the sample is played at a different frequency (i.e. a different note is played in the pattern). But you can approximate the result by upsampling this 8kHz sample to 44.1kHz or 48kHz. For your use case, there are two ways to achieve that:

1. Using the sample editor
- First, convert the MOD file to MPTM format (View -> Song Properties).
- Then go back to the sample editor and Shift-Click the Resample button (6th icon in the sample editor's toolbar) to resample all samples at once. Enter a target frequency of 48000 Hz and choose "None" from the filter dropdown. This will resample all samples at once.
- Now you can save the samples.

2. Actually use the Amiga resampler. This is the preferable solution in terms of audio quality because using the "None" filter option introduces aliasing that the Amiga resampler does not. However, for technical reasons the Amiga resampler cannot be used when resampling from the sample editor, so you'd have to apply a different trick:
- Create a few blank patterns and enter a C-5 note for every sample that you want to export. Make sure that every sample is played in its full length.
- Use Stream Export from the file menu to export the result to a WAV file.
This is more work but the exported result is a bit closer to the original Amiga sound. Depending on what you want to achieve this may or may not be worth the extra effort.

Spocker

Thank you very much.

The 1st method worked

It's close enough lol

Saga Musix

Spocker

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but anyway, just wanna show you the Lotus Turbo Challenge theme song remastered, if you're interrested hearing the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqxOGnCjESg

Saga Musix